Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have been using Linux a lot, but I don't know such distro. EDIT: Wow I can't believe there actually is a topic which doesnt have linux distro...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I am looking for a Linux Distro, optimized for (multi-)touch input

I have been using Linux a lot, but I don't know such distro.
    EDIT: Wow I can't believe there actually is a topic which doesnt have linux distro
    Last edited by CrisisCorE; 05-22-2011 at 10:37 AM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    One assumes you have a multi-touch capable device? Not only do you need driver support, you also need hardware support, and system support - the applications and desktop window manager have to be multi-touch aware as the events they would get are not what most are currently programmed to handle. So, I would strongly advise that you do some further research into this topic online before you start asking for help that we probably cannot give you.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by CrisisCorE View Post
    I have been using Linux a lot, but I don't know such distro.
    EDIT: Wow I can't believe there actually is a topic which doesnt have linux distro

Android Forums

should get you started
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Indeed I having the chance to get a multi touch capable monitor to a reduced price, but I would like to not only use it with windows. I already know that Ubuntu has support for multitouch. @roky: Does it make sense to install a tablet/smartphone linux on a full HD device?

Disclaimer: Please ignore/don't take offence from the tattoed harley riding neanderthal biker posting below. Because I have a sense of humor and love to kid around on my days off.

I can show a video for i386 laptop. But my

Code:
    $ apt-cache policy esp
    N: Unable to locate package esp
    is not available.

Translation: I can't ken, what type of gear we are talking here, because of the little info you have provided. Example if I had started this thread.

"Howdy, I have a Amrel rt686, pentium 3 (700hz), 256MB ram, 6gig ide hard drive, with a capacitive touch screen. I have researched with google for linux capacitive touch screen drivers and have found
    Touchscreen drivers for Linux:

I think my touchscreen needs the evtouch
    driver but I am unsure on how to follow the linked page posted instructions on how to install it"

Since not knowing make,model,specs of hardware and just talking generalities here.

@roky: Does it make sense to install a tablet/smartphone linux on a full HD device?
    Yep. Because you are the only one here who knows what is what and will have to figure that out on your own because of that. The Video I provided above shows that android can be installed on a i386 laptop. After that. Touchscreen configuration is in your ballpark.

Happy Trails, Rok
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I didn't expect that youd require any system specs, as I am just looking for a distribution which is touchscreen optimized, if that exists. Android appears do be an option. But ok here you go:

I am on AMD Pheom 965 Black Edition 3.40 Ghz QuadCore processor with 4 GB of RAM and an AMD ATI Radeon 5770 1024 MB Graphics Card and a 1 TB SATA II HardDrive plus an IDE 160 GB HardDrive. The TB Drive contains a single NTFS partition with Windows 7 Ultimate x64, while my smaller Drive contains several partitions around my Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhale installation. Right now I am on an old CRT monitor, boasting a total resolution of incredible 1280x1024
    My boss has recently received several of these: ht tp://gh.de/a548445.html Multi-Touch monitors for free and as I wanted to get a new monitor anyway I offered him 50 euros for one and he agreed. before I am buying this one, I'd like to know whether there are more linux distros optimized for touch input, provided I can find a driver.

From your specs. You have plenty of horse power to run any Linux Distro of your choice. Thanks for the info.

Your touchscreen link did not give me much to go on. Mostly German links and me being a Texan. Not much to go on other than maybe being a LG touchscreen.

http://gh.de/a548445.html Multi-Touch monitors - Google Search

Any top ten Linux Distro at Distrowatch should meet your needs. The trick is to find the touchscreen drivers for that particular screen your boss has for sale. As far as a Linux distro being built around supporting that touch screen out of the box. I'm Sorry. I have no clue from the hits I got searching.

Edit: Ubuntu https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricOcelot should have more touch screen support for newer
    hardware like what you are talking about. I don't think Android will be a viable option though I may be wrong as this stuff is new on the market and developers and users have to research on what drivers the maker of the touchscreen have available to the public.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, Android Gingerbread is limited to phone-type resolutions (800x480 or something like that), and the tablet (Honeycomb) version somewhat higher (probably useful for your purposes) supports at least 1280x800 resolution. Unfortunately, Honeycomb sources are not yet available from Google.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux User
    I would start by looking at the manufacturer's website or at some of the manufacturers that do touch screen. (Look for touch screen monitors on google to get an idea of manufacturers).
    I know that debian/ubuntu support touchscreen because I use openbravo as an EPOS solution and it's designed for touch screen.
    I found this link on google:
    Touchmate
    Not the best site, but it gives you an idea of the monitor.
    Also, since you have the monitor at work, why don't you try it using distro on a persistent usb stick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast