Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Sorry, it should be deb http://download.kde.org/stable/3.1/Debian stable main ....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Sorry, it should be deb http://download.kde.org/stable/3.1/Debian stable main.

Linux Engineer
    What kind of problems did you have after putting this in /etc/apt/sources.list?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Newbie
    I cant remember the exact problems, I think it was just dependency issues.
    Other software required the KDE libraries, I just removed all KDE software and forced it to ignore the dependency problems.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I wonder, how safe is that. I'm debating if I want to install KDE 3.X using another source or just sticking with KDE 2.2. I know that KDE eats up a lot of resources so moving up to the upgraded version will no doubt increase in memory usage. I think I'll stick with it for now.

Linux Newbie
    KDE 3.1 runs fine on my home pc and it is a PII 300 with 192MB ram.

Why dont you just try it and if you dont like it just go back to using 2.2 ?

Linux Engineer
    Actually, I really would love to try it but last time I tried upgrading and degrading, bad things happened. Many dependencies broke and I couldn't take care of them. The most annoying thing is that when I try to install programs by ignoring the depedency rules, apt still doens't let me install them. I'm also worried about which packages I need to get rid of before installing KDE 3.1. When I installed KDE from woody, I believe everything tha I used was in the package kdebase. This is not the case when downloading from a non Debian site. Hence if I tried to do this from the KDE.org site, strange things will occur. Nonetheless, I would like to use KDE 3.1 since it provides antialised fonts as well as QT3.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2