Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Well, Gnome with Nautilus is so damn powerful yet unstable, maybe this is my own experience, i suffer many major break downs or crashes sometimes when i use nautilus, guess ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Here is the hard part in using linux, Gnome or KDE?

Well, Gnome with Nautilus is so damn powerful yet unstable, maybe this is my own experience, i suffer many major break downs or crashes sometimes when i use nautilus, guess what i even have to reset my pc! They brought it from windows? Gladly there isn't any screen of death blue. LOL

There I have kde running using other login name, stable yet not powerful, dun even ask me to login to SMB, and when i am there in my MSHOME, it is not browseable, which means I can not even see files in my shared drive. This freaks me out!

Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux Engineer
    Well, when I used Redhat back in the days, I was an avid Gnome fan. I never used Gnome 2 but I recall Gnome 1.4 and how much it crashed. Perhaps it was due to Nautilus, or perhaps not. Ever since I made the change to Debian, I've been using KDE. I'm even using an old version 2.2 and I'm very satisfied with it. I think it's a better desktop than Gnome. As for samba, I just got this working and I don't what your problems are with KDE and samba. If you don't like using the regular command line prompt, then use konqueror and type smb://<host>/<share> in the address bar. Once that's done, a login dialog window pops up. I can't think of a better way to resolve that than the way I just described. Anyhow, I'm for KDE. I'd like to try out Gnome 2 but I've been very content with KDE2.2.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Newbie
    At the moment I am using KDE 3.1 and I really like it. It is a bit slow to start ( probably due to my pc being a dinosaur) but once it is up and running it is very reponsive.
    I havent had a problem with Gnome before, the version that is available for debian is 1.4 and that ran fine. Didnt have any problems with version 2 on gentoo either.

Linux Engineer
    craig,

What version of debian are you running? I'm running woody and although you can alter the /etc/apt/sources.list file to obtain the latest KDE, I found that this caused some troubles earlier on. For example, when I tried to install kdevelop via apt-get, it complained about unresolvable dependency problems. Of course another method that I can use is to use the unstable version which supports KDE 3.1 as opposed to KDE 2.2.

Linux Guru
    I don't get that. I'm using GNOME, and although I use nautilus extremely seldom, it hasn't ever crashed on me. The only thing that has crashed on me is nVidia's crappy drivers (don't get me wrong, their performance is awesome, but I don't give much for their stability). Are you sure that it isn't just your drivers that are crashing on you? It's not even possible for nautilus to crash the entire system. Have you tried pressing Ctrl+Alt+BkSpc when it happens or going to a text terminal to kill nautilus?

Linux Engineer
    Well, it's been sometime since I used Redhat but I do recall it was version 7.x that gave me these problems. Now I really can't say if it was Redhat or if it was Nautilus but I do recall the computer crashing numerous times.

Linux User
    I see, hardware problems? I realll dunno. I am trying my best to resolve these problems, by reducing my DDR RAM speed, diable the other soundcard, even disble my RAID card the night before last, things are now going smoothly. I think I will switch in between KDE and GNOME, to see which one I am up for.

Now I have my XMMS running, the problem was about patent, so I had to download a pacth from xmms.org. LOL. and now I am trying to solve the mpeg video playing problem, loads of films need to be downloaded, some dependencies problems! Dunno what is up to Redhat, why can't they include these packages in RH like mandrake do?

I think this is fun part of using Linux, there are a lot to see in the rabbit hole! When you solve a problem, you will be excited by it.

I never really got to learn Linux, now I am quite serious about it.

Thanks a lot for you guys perspectives, they help.

Regards

PS: I am wondering what have RH done to some Linux conf commands, eg, linuxconf, can no longer use it in terminal!

PS PS: I should have posted this one in X-windows system
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by bpark
    craig,

What version of debian are you running? I'm running woody and although you can alter the /etc/apt/sources.list file to obtain the latest KDE, I found that this caused some troubles earlier on. For example, when I tried to install kdevelop via apt-get, it complained about unresolvable dependency problems. Of course another method that I can use is to use the unstable version which supports KDE 3.1 as opposed to KDE 2.2.
    I am running woody, I have just added a source to get KDE. 3.1

deb http://download.kde.org/stable/3.2/Debian stable main

I can remember having a bit of trouble, but I think I just purged the previous version ignoring any dependancy problems via dpkg.

Linux Engineer
    I actually would like to run KDE 3.1 but I'm afraid of those dependency problems.

Linux Engineer
    BTW, is that URL reliable. It clicking on it gets to nowhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast