Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, i should say i am a fairly new user of linux distros. I already tried ubuntu, kubuntu and xubuntu and i'm currently stuck to xubuntu. I have a 446 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Smile OpenSUSE 11.4 or Fedora 15 ??????

hi, i should say i am a fairly new user of linux distros.
    I already tried ubuntu, kubuntu and xubuntu and i'm currently stuck to xubuntu.
    I have a 446 mb RAM Toshiba Satellite l-30 ( initially 256, but upgraded bcoz 256 is too lame to run ubuntu 11) and i decided to use fedora or opensuse instead of xubuntu bcoz I LOVE GNOME 3!

So, i need a suggestion guyz, on what is good to use on my laptop ( toshiba satellite l-30). F 15? or OpenSUSE 11.4?. thanks in advance! and please giv a good reason why u suggested it.

Hello and Welcome!

The main issue you might run into is the amount of RAM that you have.
    For a modern distro, running GNOME 3, I'd recommend at least a gig.
    In fact, the home pages for both Fedora and openSUSE advise more than 446.

But if you're really wanting to go for one, I'd give a nod to openSUSE, simply because the minimum requirements are closer to what you have.
    Either way, make sure to set up a SWAP partition and you might be okay.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    With that amount of memory, you want to minimize the services that are automatically started, as well as reducing or eliminating the crash-dump space (comes out of RAM). Then, run a lean/mean window manager such as xfce. Gnome and KDE are pigs in the RAM usage department. You can still use Gnome and KDE tools and applications, but your baseline overhead will be way less. Also, you might want to build a custom kernel, eliminating any drivers you really don't need. Besides, that's a good experience.

So, looking at all that, you might want to either try Gentoo, or get Linux From Scratch and build your system to your exact requirements from the ground up. Best way to learn the subtleties of Linux that I know.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    So, looking at all that, you might want to either try Gentoo, or get Linux From Scratch and build your system to your exact requirements from the ground up.
    Aside from those, you could also try CRUX, Arch or a minimal Debian install.

@kaparthy, I realize that we have mentioned distros that you really weren't asking about, but with only 446 RAM, you are going to find some limitations on your choices.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

Talking how about debian 6.0?

hey, thank for the replies guyz! yeah, as u said RAM could be a problem to run GNOME 3. but i also dont think the other distros u mentioned (Arch, crux etc.) would be provided with a good support in their forums like Fedora and Ubuntu forums. so how about this Debian? will it run smooth on my laptop? and will i get good support if i install it?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Debian is the foundation for many other distributions, such as Ubuntu, Mint, et al. Yes, it is well supported. Gentoo has a very active user community and is a well-respected distribution. One thing to bear in mind, is that Debian is fully FOSS (Free and Open Source Software), so if you need to install proprietary drivers (not uncommon for laptops), you will have to do that on your own for the most part. It isn't that hard to do, but Debian as a rule will not "support" those. FWIW, I've been doing pretty well with Scientific Linux 6 on my laptop (Dell D630) that needed proprietary Broadcom drivers and firmware for my WiFi hardware, and those were available in one of the supported repositories (atrpms or epel). So, it was pretty easy to get it working.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Thank you so much!

Roger That! i'm gonna check out both Gentoo and Debian soon and come back if i encounter any problems. thank you once again guys! and at last it aint openSUSE or Fedora! thats funny!

Don't overlook Mandriva or (Mageia) in the future

In my opinion Suse interface does not compare to the mainstream Linux experience. I think they try to dress up Gnome so it is closer to KDE. I'm partial to Gnome desktop but you can use KDE applications on Gnome if you want, no problem. Gnome tends to be bare bones and in some cases not enough features where KDE has way too many features. I think Mandriva is a hard to beat O.S at any level but Fedora works a little better. Mandriva allows plenty of install options and also includes Xfce desktop.