Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am going to post in this thread to avoid opening a new one on the "choosing distro" topic. Hopefully I'll get some insight. I have had linux for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question choosing distro

I am going to post in this thread to avoid opening a new one on the "choosing distro" topic. Hopefully I'll get some insight.

I have had linux for a while now, but as it was Ubuntu, I don't have much knowledge on the fine details of it. Prior to that I had Mandriva. After upgrading to Ubuntu 11.04 recently, problems started and I decided to find a more suitable distro for my needs.

Ubuntu was relatively good but I felt it was a bit too bloated with stuff I didn't need. I recently tried to get Crunchbang to work and now using Lubuntu 10.10 which I don't particularly like as the system is a bit too minimalistic for its own good.

So, therefore, what I am looking for is a suitable distro that runs on a 6-year-old desktop with nvidia fx5900 and two monitors, 1gb of ram, 3.4ghz main processor.

I need to be able to play with digital photos (view, edit etc), install and use libreoffice and pdfs for university purposes (also have good networking for backing up the said uni work), play music (rip and listen to mp3s) and watch videos. Skype installation is also important so the package must have good audio controls.

The reason I am asking for suggestions is that I want something that is easy enough to customize (graphical obviously preferred) and which ships with minimal base package in terms of software but rich enough in features i.e. I can choose only the programs I need and install them easily. Good automatic hardware detection is a must as well.

Arch linux sounds tempting but my lack of skills in the coding department may be a barrier.

I hope this makes sense and doesn't sound too silly or contradicted.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by hiihto View Post
    Arch linux sounds tempting but my lack of skills in the coding department may be a barrier.
    Hello and welcome aboard!

No coding is required to run Arch, only some manual configuration is needed.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I'm going to suggest Linux Mint Debian Edition XFCE - it should tick most, if not all of those boxes
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I'm going to suggest Linux Mint Debian Edition XFCE - it should tick most, if not all of those boxes
    Thanks for the tip! I am now a happy user of Mint Debian. Let's see how long this relationship lasts.