Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I'm running LMDE with a 1 1/2 yr old computer with plenty of RAM and ROM. I've got a dual-boot with windows 7. My problem is with java-intensive applications. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Question Java problems with Linux Mint Debian

Hello. I'm running LMDE with a 1 1/2 yr old computer with plenty of RAM and ROM.
    I've got a dual-boot with windows 7. My problem is with java-intensive applications. In pogo (online games), for example, the game windows will freeze up sometimes when I go to load a game table.

I've tried many things and the only thing that works (termporarily) is to clear my firefox cache.
    I'm starting to think the problem lies with the java code somehow. The version i am using is ver.6.

Is there any way to revert to an earlier version java plugin? This might solve my problem.

p.s. I'm a real nube so i would need somebody to walk me through this. I have tried things like this in the past and they were no walk in the park.

take care,
    Last edited by nbob; 06-05-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Linux Newbie
    Here's what the sun java website said to do in order to manually install sun-java:

To install the Java Plugin follow these steps:

1. Exit Firefox.

2. Uninstall any previous installations of Java Plugin.

Only one Java Plugin can be used at a time. When you want to use a different plugin, or version of a plugin, remove the symbolic links to any other versions and create a fresh symbolic link to the new one.

Remove the symbolic links (or move them to another directory) to javaplugin-oji.so and libnpjp2.so from the Firefox plugins directory.

3. Create a symbolic link to the Java Plugin in the Firefox plugins directory.

Create a symbolic link to the Java Plugin libnpjp2.so file in the Firefox plugins directory:

cd

<Firefox>/plugins
    ln -s

<JRE>/lib/i386/libnpjp2.so .

4. Start the Firefox browser .

I've found 2 directories that contain java files. They are
    /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
    They both contain the file "libjavaplugin.so".
    I'm assuming one is a symbolic link and the other one is the actual file. Which is which?

Also, in the directory /usr/lib/jvm there are two java entries: "java-6-sun" and "java-6-sun-1.6.0.25" Are these the real files or symbolic links.
    Last edited by nbob; 06-05-2011 at 10:40 PM.