Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have had a problem with accessing my website and haven't found the answer yet. Since a few months I have ADSL. I have a FreeBSD box that is running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Can't get to my domain name

I have had a problem with accessing my website and haven't found the answer yet. Since a few months I have ADSL. I have a FreeBSD box that is running Apache and it is hosting my website. When I connect through ADSL to my website using the fqdn the page cannot be found. It does not make a difference if i am using RH or XP. I am able to see the website internally (using the 192.168 ip of the Freebsd box). When I dial up through another ISP provider I am able to see my website by using my domain name. So it looks like my router and apache are configured properly.

I talked to my ADSL provider and he thought it was something in my setup but I doubt it. Any ideas?

Linux Guru
    Try checking your apache logs for hints. Maybe you have some kind of vhost setup that's not quite correct?

There are only successful entries in the log. It seems like the unsuccesful ones don't even get to my box. I basically get a page that says the domain name cannot be found while it works fine through another ISP

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Ah, does it say that the domain name can't be found? That's a completely different thing that if the page cannot be found. Are you sure that it just isn't something with your DNS settings? What domain name is it?

the domain name is www.defryn.com and it should appear fine if you look at it. It seems to work for everyone who is using another ISP. My settings on my ADSL router are set to be obtained automatically. I did change it to manually once and that did not make a difference. It has to be on the ISP's end I guess.

Cheers

Linux Guru
    Actually, I get connection refused. Is that server always running? Couldn't it be that you have accidently set the server to just listen to one IP address if it's a multi-homed host?

The server was running when you tried as I started it up before I send my previous reply. It is not a multihomed server.
    In my Apache Config file it was set to lsiten to port 80. I also enabled to listen on the IP address now, which was disabled by default

Here is my virtual host setting

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerAdmin me@defryn.com
    DocumentRoot /www/www.defryn.com
    ServerName www.defryn.com
    ErrorLog /www/wwwlogs/errorfile
    CustomLog /www/wwwlogs/file
    </VirtualHost>

I assume this is correct as I have been able to access it from several other locations.

Linux Guru
    Check "netstat -antp | grep 80".

Done that. Port 80 is listening and connections do get established.
    We might be running out of options here

Linux Guru
    Yeah, but is it bound to 0.0.0.0?
    Check with ethereal or tcpdump when you try to connect to it what happens.
    Couldn't it be that you have a firewall blocking the port?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast