Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By twoHats
Dear friends, Today i installed Ubuntu 10.10 in my PC. After installing i searched for Menu.lst file in "/boot/grub/" file system, but i didnt find that file in that path. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

How to find "menu.lst" file in UBuntu 10.10

Dear friends,

Today i installed Ubuntu 10.10 in my PC. After installing i searched for Menu.lst file in "/boot/grub/" file system, but i didnt find that file in that path. where it gone in ubuntu 10.10? From where the bootloader is taking OS list?Kindly help me
    Thanks in advance...

Linux Guru
    Google: ubuntu grub2

Yes - just wait until you see what they have done with it. Someone forgot the KISS rule here. btw - this is not just Ubuntu, but nearly all new distros seem to be going with Grub 2. It has some very technical (and i believe, narrow) benefits, but to take a nice simple tool and do this!?

I am thinking of starting a Grub 1.x support group here on the forums. The idea being to help folks who want to revert and don't know how.

In the spirit of open dialog, I must admit that I felt the same about Lilo - lol...
    rokytnji, elija and Bemk like this.
    - Clouds don't crash - Bertrand Meyer

registered Linux user 393557

finally - hw to brag about - but next year it will look pitifully quaint:
    Athlon64 X2 3800 - 1G PC3200 - 250G SATA - ati radeon x300
    circa 2006

Well, I already found grub-legacy (as they now call it) too complicated, let alone grub2. I'm seriously thinking of going back to lilo. I mean, what's wrong with lilo, apart from the fact that it won't load ntfs-based versions of Windows?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I can live with plain old grub - it works well on my RHEL derived systems. Grub2 is a nightmare, and everyone that I know who is a Linux wizard hates it as much as I do.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

One plus side to Grub2 is a simple command can find all installed OS's as well as those on an external if you have them installed and write your grub.cfg file for you. Draw back to that is, often time with OS's that are using legacy grub, it will point to the wrong partition and cause kernel panic. They say DO NOT edit grub.cfg but I would all the time and clean it up so that I had a nice clean menu on boot up. Of course, always back it up prior to editing like you would with any config file.
    Code:
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    This is the command to type to have grub find all of your installed OS's.

Now I have also seen where many people HATE grub2. I do not mind legacy grub so much but must admit I often have a hard time when adding a new OS to it. It seems like different OS's require different things to be listed in the menu.lst. Such as some do not need the initrd line (Such as Slackware) where as some do. I have had an easy time with it and a very fustrating time as well.

All the best,

Ian