Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I am currently trying to use clonezilla to make an image of my machine. When I get to the part where it asks for a name for the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Clonezilla Imaging Problem (No existing disk(s) or no unmounted disks

Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to use clonezilla to make an image of my machine. When I get to the part where it asks for a name for the image to use and I hit ok it gives me "Error! No existing disk(s) or no unmounted disk(s) are found! To use clonezilla to save or clone a disk, the source disk must exist or be unmounted! If you are sure the disk exists in this machine, maybe the kernel is too old?

After reading this I googled my problem and found a page that showed me how to unmount my disk so I did. After doing so I still got the same error. The machine I running is a Dell Optiplex 780, the most recent computer on campus, so I do not think the kernel is too old. Please help!

Thanks so much!

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome aboard!

If using a liveCD is a workable option for you, I'd recommend running Clonezilla from the Clonezilla LiveCD, or from the version of Clonezilla that resides on the Parted Magic LiveCD.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hey Ozar thanks for the warm welcome and the response!

I put clonezilla on a usb drive with unetbootin, does that not work/resemble using a liveCD?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Andross561 View Post
    I put clonezilla on a usb drive with unetbootin, does that not work/resemble using a liveCD?
    I've never run it from a usb drive, but think it would work about the same as long as you are booting from the usb drive and not the drive that you want to image. Maybe someone with clonezilla on usb experience will reply with more info for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Great! I'll look into it thanks a lot!

I love clonezilla and use it weekly to clone all of my partitions. This link below is a great how-to in using Clonezilla put together by the late Frank Winters (I would have linked it, but you must have 15 post or more to link to another site and I am new here). With at least 100 clones, I have never had a bad one. I always use the live CD. Recently with-in the last 2 updates, clonezilla now checks the image to make sure that it can be used to re-image later. Only negative thing I have to say about clonezilla is, if you have to re-image, you have to re-image to the same partition. In other words, if you cloned lets say sda5, you can not re-image to sda7.

Best of luck to you in working this out.

All the best,

Ian

forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?&showtopic=38812 put http in front of the link