Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Folks, I'm relatively new to Linux, Have used Ubuntu for a weather station before without to many troubles but am about to embark on a bit of an adventure, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What OS/Software to use in the below case

Hi Folks,
    I'm relatively new to Linux, Have used Ubuntu for a weather station before without to many troubles but am about to embark on a bit of an adventure, on Building a home server, I have been googling flat out but cant seem to find anyone who has got the appropriate answer to what I want,
    The list of must does for the box is as follows

Be able to act as a web server for small sites pre them going live to a true web server
    Be able to fetch mail from email server for multiple addresses and store then pass out via IMAP protocol (I believe this is the protocol I want as it keeps the server and the mail client identical right) for several different email addresses to computers not on the home network as well as on the home network
    Be able to be used to back-up valuable data on laptops from anywhere in the world maybe via a VPN to stored data

I would also like to be able to add more HD space later if needed without a complete reinstall or anything drastic

Any ideas on what would be the easiest most straight forward solution,

Thankyou for any and all feedback I realize this is probably a complex task but I have the time and the will to learn so let me have it.

Cheers Benn
    Last edited by Burt; 06-24-2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Last lines didn't go in

Go to distrowatch.com, and search for server, active, and beginner, and it brings up 73 distro's that meet that criteria. You can then read the description of each one and see if it looks like what you want, and download a live cd/DVD to try it out. On the list, I would check out Ubuntu, Mint, and CentOS first, as all three are major distro's with a good support base and forums.
    Last edited by MASONTX; 06-24-2011 at 12:56 AM. Reason: spelling
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that so all of those distros have the ability to do want I want built in? or do I need to add packages to them to do it?
    If I have to add packages does anyone have any they have experience with and that are good?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The search tool is like a dating site, it can suggest distro's you might like, but you will need to see which one you love. Each distro will come with what its authors selected as a good starting point, some with more features than others, and you will add or remove what you want to make it the way you like. The server forum can probably give you an idea of what others liked best or packages people familiar with servers suggest.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Trusted Penguin
    Whether or not the distro you pick (Ubuntu, e.g.) comes with a specific app you need (Apache web server), you'll need to learn how to install packages anyway, just to be able to use/maintain/support it. Fortunately, it is very simple, for Ubuntu it'd be something like:
    Code:
    apt-get install httpd
    and for RPM-based distros (Fedora, CentOS, etc.), it'd be:
    Code:
    yum install httpd
    But yes, most Linux distros will be able to do what you want "out-of-the-box".

I would also add Fedora to the list of recommended Linux distros to look at.