Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I have a new Toshiba NB505 net book with an Intel 1.66 GHz CPU, 1 Gb of RAM, and operating as a 32 bit machine. My main use for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is Linux a reasonable option?

So I have a new Toshiba NB505 net book with an Intel 1.66 GHz CPU, 1 Gb of RAM, and operating as a 32 bit machine. My main use for this machine is to maintain email and internet access when I travel. It is also a personal entertainment system for watching DVDs and Netflix when I am stuck in hotel rooms. It currently has Windows 7 home premium on it and is a dog. I think the OS is at the very limit of what the system can handle. (I personally believe that Windows peaked with XP and has been degenerating ever since!)

I would like to make this machine run better while being able to access the internet on Wi-Fi and watch videos in full screen. I would also like a reasonable GUI to work with. Back around the time they were inventing dirt I took a UNIX class and was moderately proficient in DOS but that is all long forgotten now.

Hello and Welcome!

Linux could be a viable option for you.
    A good choice for you would probably be Linux Mint. It has an attractive default desktop, and most popular multimedia codecs and wireless drivers will be installed out of the box.
    With 1 gig of RAM, you may notice occasional slowdown while playing DVD's. But if that's the case, you can install lighter window managers such as LXDE or Xfce.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

The only problem might be Netflix. AFAIK there is no Linux client for that, but since I don't use it at all, that may be overtaken by events. Wine might also be a possibility for it, but again I don't know if it runs in wine. Just sayin', Netflix might not run on a Linux machine.

Don't know about the Netflix, but with the hardware you have, many, if not most, linux distro's will run fine. Go to distrowatch.com and start at the top of the "Top 100" list and copy live CD/DVD's to RW discs, one at a time. You should find a distro that you like within the top 10 or so. If you like Ubuntu, you may want to try ultimate, as it is Ubuntu with added codecs and drivers. Good luck.
    Registered Linux user #526930

I was poking around and found this page regarding Netflix and Linux.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

It is, indeed a reasonable option

For netbooks of your variety, antX 11 (or Swift Linux 0-1-1) is more than good.

Get rid of bloat

How to remove 'bloatware' from your new Windows 7 PC - Monsters and Critics
    PC Decrapifier - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Downloads
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Repartition

Win7 on one or two partitions; one Primary (ext4) partiton for root ( / ); one extended partition that will contain the logical partitions for /home and swap, at least (also recommend a /tmp logical partition of 4.6GB if copying DVDs is a priority).
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Choose a Boot Loader and Dual-boot if Netflix is essential

EasyBCD
    GRUB -- example for antiX --

Have fun!

Though Not Netflix. I find that Miro and Hulu work fine for me in AntiX. I have 2 Asus EEEPCs (701SD & 900) and just picked up a M&A Companion Netbook for cheap (bought a extra new 6500 mah battery for $12.00=shipping included). T

The Companion Netbook came with XP Home. I run Puppeee , the atom kernel version, off of external 4 gig SD flash drive for now. It runs good also on that Netbook. Lot's of goodies in jemimahs Puppeee and Fluppy.

Wish I had more flash drives to play with. I run AntiX 11 base iso as a persistent flash drive also That runs on all kinds of hardware. I don't recommend the base iso for new users though. Better to go with the full iso for a persistent pendrive install if a new user.

So Yeah

Is Linux a reasonable option?

Yep.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    My wife has one of these, and dual-boots it with Win7 and Ubuntu. For Netflix, you will need to use Win7. Ubuntu will work well with Hulu and others.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!