Find the answer to your Linux question:
hai guys, i'm newbie on Linux world , but my boss assigned me to monitored one of linux server on the client using third party application, but the application required ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to install SNMP

hai guys,

i'm newbie on Linux world, but my boss assigned me to monitored one of linux server on the client using third party application, but the application required SNMP so that it can monitored the server.

i want to ask how i can know if the SNMP is already installed or not? and if is not installed yet, how can i installe it?

thanks before

Trusted Penguin
    What is your Linux distro and version? If it is RH/Fedora-based, then most likely 'yum install net-snmp*' will work for you.

Specifically, I can tell you the net-snmp, net-snmp-libs and net-snmp-utils packages were important for me to do various SNMP-related tasks.

EDIT: check if it is installed with this command:
    Code:
    snmpwalk --version

Just Joined!
    i used cat proc/version to find out what linux distro that was installed, but the output of that command is just LINUX, there is no information about distro at all, is the command that i used i false?

is there any spesific/example output of the snmpwalk --version command that can tell me whether the SNMP installed already or not?

about yum, i have tried using yum to install snmp (on that day i assumed snmp was not installed), but why after type yum and hit enter the output was like following

file "/usr/bin/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
    import yummain
    file "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
    import comps
    file "/usr/bin/yum/comps.py", line 31, in ?
    import libxml2
    import error : no module name libxml2

is that an error?how to fix it?

thanks for your good information

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Trusted Penguin
    i used cat proc/version to find out what linux distro that was installed, but the output of that command is just LINUX, there is no information about distro at all, is the command that i used i false?
    That just tells you kernel/hardware info - try this command instead:
    Code:
    grep -H . /etc/*-release
    is there any spesific/example output of the snmpwalk --version command that can tell me whether the SNMP installed already or not?
    Just run that snmpwalk command, and it should either return:

snmpwalk: command not found

or something like:

NET-SNMP version: 5.6.pre2

which is what you want. What does it return for you?

Regarding your yum question, that yum output you posted makes it look like yum is broke, at least partially. Do you have the original Linux installation media that you can use to reinstall yum? That is what I would try, but again, knowing your distribution will help.

Just Joined!
    this is the result of command that you gave me :

grep -H . /etc/*-release
    /etc/trustix-release:Trustix Secure Linux release 3.0.5 (Mirch Masala)

snmpwalk --version
    snmpwalk: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

about the yum, is there another solution to fix that broke yum, beside of using CD's installation ?

thanks

Just Joined!
    is there anyone who can help me out of this trouble,