Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have looked over various searches and think I am going down the right path. I am a new user of Linux so experince is limited. I need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Building a web server (am I on the right tracks)

Hi,
    I have looked over various searches and think I am going down the right path.
    I am a new user of Linux so experince is limited.
    I need to build a web server for a proof of concept, this is for a project I am working on for my business.
    I have bought a HP dl380 G4 server (oldish but hopefully good enough for the tests).
    I have downloaded and installed Unbuntu 10.04 and then downloaded the GUI (becasue I find the gui easier for the moment).. So far so good.
    I would like to install some software on it that would allow me to run 3 seperate websites (a little like WHM for instace). Would Apache be the best way to go for this? I think Apache is part of the install of Ubuntu so I guess I will just need the GUI for it.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Dave
    ps
    Should the project be a sucsess then we will outsource the hardware site of the project to a hosting company or buy a more up todate server

Thanks

Easiest way to set up a basic server in my opinion is to go with Debian based (making Ubuntu a good choice), doing sudo tasksel and selecting the lamp option.

It's not the most fun option, but if you want to see a result quickly it's the way to go.
    All that remains is setting up the site configuration file for Apache to host the 2 other sites.
    Full time computer science student, spare time OS developer.
    @bemk92 on twitter.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Here's a tutorial on setting up a good development environment which can also be used on a live server, if you have root access. It's based on LMDE but should be exactly the same for Debian.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    Many thanks for the advice and links.

Dave