Find the answer to your Linux question:
I don't want to know the state (active, zombie, etc.). My question is, is it possible to view a process in action?. How to view a process in the background ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is it possible to view the screen state of a process?

I don't want to know the state (active, zombie, etc.). My question is, is it possible to view a process in action?. How to view a process in the background and check it?

I hope my question is clear.

Hi and Welcome. What's the process that you need to view activity for? If its a daemon you can look at /var/log/messages or /var/log/daemon.log. What ever the process is see if you can increase verbose/debugging either via a config file or as argument.

Just Joined!
    what about ps?

not sure if that is too obvious though - it reports process information, man it for information. I tend to use "
    Code:
    ps -ef
    "

Obviously it doesn't show u the exact status of a process but it shows you its activity and can be useful when used in conjunction with other commands like top for investigatory purposes.

Just Joined!
    Thanks to all.
    I've been thinking in a case of study: When I open a SSH connection to a BSD machine and later I install a port, for some reason the connection is lost and I have to enter some information to finish the installation process. If I can re-connect to the BSD machine with SSH: What can I do to see the installation screen? or, how can I enter the information needed?

Maybe some playing with BG and FG commands?

Trusted Penguin
    yes, you could use bg/fg commands to control jobs within your terminal, but you'd be better off using the screen program. Install it, if you don't have it already - should be in your package repos. Then do man screen to see how to use it and report back if you need help using it.

hth

Just Joined!
    I'll take a look to screen + ssh.
    Thanks.