Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Hi, I'm new to linux and would like to learn it for a career. Which version would be best to go for if I want to work in the industry ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7

    learn linux for career


    Hi,

    I'm new to linux and would like to learn it for a career.

    Which version would be best to go for if I want to work in the industry using linux?

    Also, what else would I need to learn?

    I'm willing to put the time in to do a crash course at home for whatever I need to learn.

  2. #2
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    Hello and welcome!

    Red Hat Enterprise Linux is often used for business purposes so you could try that or one of the other distros that are based on it, such as Scientific or CentOS. If you want to learn about the deep inner workings of Linux, you can build it from scratch with Linux From Scratch.

    In the end, you should be able to learn about Linux with pretty much any distribution except that some distros do force you to learn more about them than others, while some do more hand-holding for the user by including various GUI tools and such.
    oz

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Thanks. I had a feeling it would be RH, from reading about it.

    So scientific and centOS are based on RH?

    Are they free? RH seems to cost quite a bit.

  4. #4
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    Quote Originally Posted by forumjunkie View Post
    So scientific and centOS are based on RH?

    Are they free?
    Yes and yes.

    They are basically the same thing but without the Red Hat logos/artwork and paid subscription support.
    oz

  5. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Yes and yes.

    They are basically the same thing but without the Red Hat logos/artwork and paid subscription support.
    Thanks, ozar, I appreciate your help.

  6. #6
    Linux Engineer Freston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,049
    Red Hat is free as in speech but not as in beer.

    Go for your RHCE if you want to be a Linux admin and be taken seriously as such.

    You can use a CentOS version as a target system for learning purposes. Though, it's a little behind but it's 100% binary compatible and people will know what you're talking about. Scientific is a good second choice... (arguably a good first choice).
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

  7. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    Red Hat is free as in speech but not as in beer.
    Lol. I have no idea what you mean by this.


    Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    Go for your RHCE if you want to be a Linux admin and be taken seriously as such.

    You can use a CentOS version as a target system for learning purposes. Though, it's a little behind but it's 100% binary compatible and people will know what you're talking about. Scientific is a good second choice... (arguably a good first choice).
    Thanks. it's my intention to go for RHCE, once I know how to use RH first.

    I just ordered a Sams 24 hour book with RH 9. I know it's old, but it's cheap and will get me started.

  8. #8
    Penguin of trust elija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Posts
    3,529
    Quote Originally Posted by forumjunkie View Post
    Lol. I have no idea what you mean by this.
    Free as in speech means that you can download, modify and build the source
    Free as in beer means payment.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

    When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?


    The Fifth Continent

  9. #9
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Free as in speech means that you can download, modify and build the source
    Free as in beer means payment.
    Okay. I assumed you have to buy RH in order to use it.

    Which version would you recommend I download?

  10. #10
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    Quote Originally Posted by forumjunkie View Post
    Okay. I assumed you have to buy RH in order to use it.

    Which version would you recommend I download?
    You can download it for free, then install it and use it, but you can't get updates or support without a subscription. That's why we were recommending Scientific or CentOS as alternatives.
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •