Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi Everyone Like you , I am a heavy user of my computer. I might have 50 tabs open to programming related sites, another 50 for online auctions, another 50 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Distro for multi-user machine

Hi Everyone

Like you , I am a heavy user of my computer. I might have 50 tabs open to programming related sites, another 50 for online auctions, another 50 for etc, etc.

I run out of workspaces quickly and I divided my computer in to users per topic, userArt, userTaxes etc. It's so much easier to keep things organized but with Ubuntu it often freezes up after a day or so. If I only log in as one user it can stay up for many, many days. I am assuming that having multiple users logged in destabilizes it.

Could anyone recommend a Distro that might be more stable for this?

Thanks for reading-Patrick

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

I'd recommend testing one or more of the top 5 distros in the page hits ranking chart over at DistroWatch.com to see which one best suits your own tastes, and computer hardware. You can also find a couple of distro quizzes in my signature link that might help you in picking a place to start testing some distros. Naturally, one or more of the multi-users might end up not liking whatever you should choose.

Let us know what you end up going with and how it works out for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Hi Ozar

Thanks for your help. I am actually the only user, I just split my tasks into different users. I created a user for taxes, a user for programming etc..

I have tried all of the top 5 distros in the past and I like them all. I like Ubuntu quite a bit but it's not stable for me, when I have 8 users logged in(again just my split personalities). Do you know if any of the top 5 Distros would be more stable?

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfMadDad View Post
    Hi Ozar

Thanks for your help. I am actually the only user, I just split my tasks into different users. I created a user for taxes, a user for programming etc..
    Ah... okay, I'm with you now and see that you said that in your original post. That should make things a bit easier.

The top 5 are not necessarily more stable for everyone, but apparently they are stable enough to be very popular among those looking to get started with Linux. In the end, the only way to know for sure what works best for you and your hardware is to actually try them, which does of course take some extra time and effort.

Lots of Linux users end up distro hopping for months, or even years until they find the best match for them and their hardware.

Good luck to you with it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks again Ozar. It looks like your already an Arch user. I was considering that Distro too. It looks like it is easier for compiling programs from source and it sounds pretty stable-Patrick

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfMadDad View Post
    It looks like your already an Arch user. I was considering that Distro too. It looks like it is easier for compiling programs from source and it sounds pretty stable-Patrick
    Arch is generally not considered a good distro for new Linux users because most of the system configurations are done manually and system installation may be a bit harder than some of the more automated distros. Still, plenty of new users have installed Arch and continue to use it. I've been running Arch for going on 7 years now and have found no reason to change, although I do still temporarily install other distros now and then just to see what's happening with them.

Good luck should you decide to install Arch.
    oz

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I'll second the try them and see what you like sentiment as all it costs is a bit of bandwidth, a CD/DVD and some time. I will suggest that you should also consider trying LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition). When you point it at the new Mint Debian Latest repositories, you get most (if not all) of the stability of Debian Stable, a nearly rolling distro like Debian Testing and loads of Minty goodness. It's lighter and faster than the standard Mint which is based off Ubuntu.

Speaking as a long term distro hopper, LMDE (XFCE) feels like home. I've been using it for 6 months and have no inclination to move on.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Actually, I do not think this is a question of linux distributions.
    Each one is capable of supporting multiple users.

As you have written, that you use the browser quite extensively and also do programming, my first guess would be that your pc simply does not have ram to hold that.
    Hence it would start swapping, which will make the feedback very slow.
    If the ram consumption would rise even more, then the kernel will start killing processes.

That might be, what you describe as unstable.

Can you describe in detail, what unstable means in your case?
    Also, a terminal with top open would shed some light on the ressource consumption.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I hadn't twigged that's all at the same time so you're probably right to ask about RAM, but in any case a distro with a lighter desktop / window manager will free up more memory for use. Using LMDE (XFCE) with 512MB of ram assigned to /tmp, Firefox with several tabs, Thunderbird, Komodo Edit with 5 or 6 files open and a terminal for compilation, I rarely get over 1.5GB usage and there are much, much lighter environments than that available. I can get that up a bit by using Libre Office and playing a few games. I can get it up a lot by running a couple of VMs
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

..but in any case a distro with a lighter desktop / window manager will free up more memory for use.
    true

Another note: How many workspaces are used?
    Because it is easy to configure a different number of workspaces per user.
    Maybe multiple users is not needed in the first place?
    (which would also safe some ram, as potentially only one browser needs to be started)
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast