Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone. I'm not all that new to Linux, but I have an eeePC and I have to use Full Disk Encryption because of sensitive client information on it. I've ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Easiest Full Disk Encryption on a distro?

Hello everyone. I'm not all that new to Linux, but I have an eeePC and I have to use Full Disk Encryption because of sensitive client information on it.

I've had Ubuntu on this laptop before and it was fine. So I grabbed the Ubuntu Alternate Installer to get FDE on it, I followed the guides online, and it doesn't quite work. (It doesn't detect the network during install and then it doesn't load into the desktop when I actually start it up.)

My question - are there any distros that support FDE in their main distro version? Just encrypting the home folder isn't appropriate for my uses.

Thanks

Trusted Penguin
    Hey,

There are hardware and software implementations of Full Disk Encryption. To get hardware-based FDE, just get a hard disk drive that supports it (google for FDE drives). For the software version, FDE means basically that you're encrypting the entire filesystem (versus just /home, etc.), less the MBR and /boot partition. Many current mainstream Linux distros support software FDE within the installation itself, which is very handy. Personally, I use Fedora (and RHEL and CentOS) to encrypt my entire partition. It is very straight-forward and easy.

hth

Just Joined!
    I had it working on Ubuntu 9.4, but have deleted my client info from disc and have it in a crypto usbstick now