Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everybody I have a huge problem I'm a uni student and i need some help with my retake assignment now I've tried and tried and tried but i just ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Please I really need your help

Hi everybody
    I have a huge problem I'm a uni student and i need some help with my retake assignment
    now I've tried and tried and tried but i just keep messing up some where, i just registered here
    in the hopes that some could help me. Below are the tasks that I have to do and i must let you
    know that i am a total noob with linux but am willing to accept any criticism and advice and help.
    I just don't know where to start and what to look for, this assignment has to be in by monday 1st aug 2011.
    Ive tried to look and read but i just don't understand and i have come here as a last resort
    (yes im begging for help)

The task set is:

Monitoring a GNU/Linux system for changes:

For this referral assignment you are required to show how you might monitor important
    system directories in a GNU/Linux operating system for any changes in files or directories.
    Marks will be given as follows:

A) Provide an outline of which directories and files that you consider should be
    monitored for changes along with an indication of which changes you would monitor
    and how you would monitor them. (up to 20%)

B) Provide a summary of available tools and utilities, both open source and
    commercial, that would help with this task. Your summary should include an
    indication of cost, complexity in use and complexity in setup. (up to 30%)

C) Develop a script or program that will implement at least some of the functionality
    required to support your analysis from (A). This script should keep a log of any
    changes found. The script or program can be written in C, PERL, shell script or any
    other language that will execute on a GNU/Linux system. (up to 50%)

Please please please help
    Thankyou
    K.Naseem

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

Sorry, but homework questions are not allowed on the forums so I'll be locking this:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ums-rules.html

Once you've developed your script, you can start a new thread and include your code, then someone might be able to help with any debugging that's needed.
    oz