Find the answer to your Linux question:
This is my first Linux install, though I have been maintaining CentOS servers remotely for years. I built a system to serve as a backup/testing server at home. I installed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installed CentOS - no internet or network

This is my first Linux install, though I have been maintaining CentOS servers remotely for years. I built a system to serve as a backup/testing server at home. I installed CentOS 6. The internet wasn't working after install so I researched drivers and found several people saying I needed nVidia's nForce Drivers (forcedeth). My ethernet card is the Realtek RTL8201CL.

I installed the nVidia drivers according to its readme, but that did not allow me to connect to the internet. I have been working on this for about 8 hours and have been unable to solve it myself, so I am asking for any suggestions.

When I try to ping an ip address on my network it says "connect: Network is unreachable". The machine doesn't appear on my d-link router's status page showing all my other machines.

I would paste in a lot of stuff in case it would be helpfull, but since the machine has no internet that is going to be difficult.

Again, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions! This is my first install so I may be missing something totally obvious.

Thanks!

Edit:
    After some further research, I learned that entering the following lines actually lets me ping other computers in my network and my CentOS machine now shows up in my dlink router status page. However, I still can't seem to connect to any websites or do any yum commands. And the settings don't stick after I reboot. I have to re-enter them each time I start the machine.
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.188 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    route add default gw 192.168.0.1
    Last edited by webxchris; 08-01-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: added info

Hello and Welcome!

Sound like you been really going at it.
    Open up a terminal, use the following commands.
    Code:
    lspci -vnn
    lsmod
    ifconfig -a
    If you need to, copy the output to a USB drive, and copy them to another computer to post them.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Guru
    RHEL6 does not configure the NIC by default and is configured to use Network Manager by default (launched from a desktop GUI.)

Google: how to configure network rhel 6

Just Joined!
    lspci returns a "command not found".

I had to burn a DVD to get the ethernet drivers to the box since I spent about 2 hours trying to mount a usb drive without success. One problem I run into is almost everything I google on "how to do X" I get command not found. For example, googling how to find connected devices or USB devices brings back tons of ways, but none that I have been able to do. I probably need the pcutil but all the guides I find on installing that use yum so I need internet.

Here are a few lines from lsmod I typed up manually. If there is anything you are looking for that could be helpfull please let me know and I will type it up.
    Code:
    iptable_filter   2147   1
    ip_tables     9541    1   iptable_filter
    ip6t_REJECT     3961   2
    nf_conntrack_ipv6    16198   2
    ip6table_filter   2219   1
    ip6_tables   10809   1   ip6table_filter
    ipv6    264702   24   ip6t_REJECT,nf_conntrack_ipv6
    forcedeth    48555    0
    snd_hda_codec_realtek   212785    1
    snd_hda_codec    70277     2    snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
    snd    52722    8    snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
    and here is ifconfig -a (typed up manually lol)
    Code:
    eth0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:30:67:AE:70:9E
               inet addr:192.168.0.188  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
               inet6 addr: fe80::230:67ff:feae:709e/64 Scope:Link
               UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST   MTU:1500  Metric:1
               RX packets:2105 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
               TX packets:41 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
               collisisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
               RX bytes:258145 (252.0 KiB)   TX bytes:3658 (3.5 KiB)
               Interrupt:27 Base address:0x8000

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
               inet addr:127.0.0.1   Mask:255.0.0.0
               inet6 addr:  ::1/128 Scope:Host
               UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436   Metric:1
               RX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
               TX packets:24 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
               collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
               RX bytes:1976 (1.9 KiB)  TX bytes:1976 (1.9 KiB)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    RHEL6 does not configure the NIC by default and is configured to use Network Manager by default (launched from a desktop GUI.)

Google: how to configure network rhel 6
    Thanks, I will do some research into that. Unfortunately CentOS 6 does not come with any sort of GUI. While trying to fix this problem I kept seeing how to use "system-config-network" but that is also not included with CentOS 6.

Edit: Wow that link you gave solved my problem so simply, just edited that one file and everything works now. Don't know how I couldn't find that info in all my searching. Thanks for your help!

Just Joined!

the cmd lines fixed my ping problem in normal mode thanks!

i have windows xp. i registered to say thank you and help others find this solution. i couldnt ping my pc in normal mode but it wroked in safe mode. internet browser ie7was working. so i could not play any online multiplayer games or update anything bc the icmp was not working. disabling firewall etc did not work. but writing cmd lines "ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.188 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    route add default gw 192.168.0.1" and hitting enter two times fixed the problem permanently even after reboot it works. it took me 1 month of searching and testing to find this solution. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by webxchris View Post
    This is my first Linux install, though I have been maintaining CentOS servers remotely for years. I built a system to serve as a backup/testing server at home. I installed CentOS 6. The internet wasn't working after install so I researched drivers and found several people saying I needed nVidia's nForce Drivers (forcedeth). My ethernet card is the Realtek RTL8201CL.

I installed the nVidia drivers according to its readme, but that did not allow me to connect to the internet. I have been working on this for about 8 hours and have been unable to solve it myself, so I am asking for any suggestions.

When I try to ping an ip address on my network it says "connect: Network is unreachable". The machine doesn't appear on my d-link router's status page showing all my other machines.

I would paste in a lot of stuff in case it would be helpfull, but since the machine has no internet that is going to be difficult.

Again, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions! This is my first install so I may be missing something totally obvious.

Thanks!

Edit:
    After some further research, I learned that entering the following lines actually lets me ping other computers in my network and my CentOS machine now shows up in my dlink router status page. However, I still can't seem to connect to any websites or do any yum commands. And the settings don't stick after I reboot. I have to re-enter them each time I start the machine.
    ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.188 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
    route add default gw 192.168.0.1