Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there, I'm trying to get Knoppix running on my Alienware M17XR3*. For some reason XORG was stating 'no monitors found.' I managed to fix this by deleting the xorg.conf ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation EVIOCGNAME failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device ...

Hello there,

I'm trying to get Knoppix running on my Alienware M17XR3*. For some reason XORG was stating 'no monitors found.' I managed to fix this by deleting the xorg.conf and running xorg -configure and then startx. It got into some sort of desktop environment, but then it crashes back to the command line.

There's two visible errors I can see, both relating to:
    EVIOCGNAME failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

One is for the touchpad and the other is something about the same severity. I'm not sure if that would cause the crash or was only informational, but I can't see anything else of value.

I want to simply have a functioning desktop environment with wifi (also not discovered, but that's my next problem). If I can disable something relating to the touchpad (with it still functional) then I'm all ears. I'm not sure what else to do at the moment. When I'm back to my room I'll run through the generate config file and see what is in there relating to the touchpad.

(*Windows totally crashed and for some reason their (Alienware) own Windows installation DVD will NOT complete an install... Also, I'm deployed to Qatar so I can't exactly have a tech support guy come fix it... I'm typing this in a media center half a mile from my room, so please excuse the lack of details...)

Any help is wonderful!
    -Jason

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Since Windows crashed and won't install either, I have to think that there is a hardware problem with the system. If you think it may be the touchpad that is having a problem, have you tried plugging in a USB mouse and using that? What about hardware diagnostics?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!