Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a 6 year old HP Pavilion zv6000 that I want to speed up. I currently have Ubuntu 11.04 installed on it, but I periodically have extremely long load ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Distro to use on my old laptop?

I have a 6 year old HP Pavilion zv6000 that I want to speed up. I currently have Ubuntu 11.04 installed on it, but I periodically have extremely long load speeds and memory dumps when I am trying to multi-task (browser, libreoffice, pdf reader, thunderbird).

The computer as an AMD Athlon 64 processor at 2.19 Ghz, 1 GB of RAM, and a 100 GB hard drive. I currently only have about 20 GB to play with, because I have an 80 GB windows XP partition that my girlfriend needs to be able to access.

I am a linux newbie so I need something user friendly and comparatively simple to install and use. Being able to dual-boot is imperative.

I need to be able to access internet wirelessly, use libreoffice, thunderbird, and I also need to be able to run some java programs in Sun Java 6. The java programs are very important. Right now I run them through custom icons I created on the Ubuntu desktop, and I'd like to keep that functionality if at all possible. My computer is used by other people that aren't linux users, and they need to be able to start these particular programs through Java easily.

Any advice on what distro I can use would be great. I am already accustomed to using Ubuntu. I have considered both debian and PuppyLinux, but I am under the impression that I can get a little bit more firepower than just using PuppyLinux since my computer has a little more zing than the ones I see it recommended for.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Linux User
    I have several old computers e.g. Dell C400 (nearly 10 years old)

Your problem is mostly the 1Gb of RAM. I would try to max out the machine. This will improve both Windows and Linux.

You could try sticking with the underlying Ubuntu, but try the alternative Desktops. Try Xubuntu, Xfce, with the command: sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop and Lubuntu (LXDE) with the command: sudo lubuntu-desktop. Both of these are lighter than the Gnome of Ubuntu.

You need to reboot to get these and on the page where you put your username and password there is a place for "Session". Choose xfce or lxde.

You will find further info on Psychocats - psychocats.net . Look at "Which *buntu to pick?" and "Playing Around" - "Pure XFCE
    Pure LXDE". If you use this method to purify your system it will take away some of the apps you have installed and are used to, but they can be reinstalled

Another problem with your 1Gb of RAM is lightweight distros work better with lightweight apps. It's not good to use a lightweight distro with a heavyweight app

Just Joined!
    I followed the "Which distro" link in the stickied thread after I posted this thread (of course, noticed it AFTER posting). The quiz that I took kicked back that I should install openSUSE. Thoughts on this recommendation?

If you are used to Ubuntu, but the 1 GB ram is a problem, try Lubuntu. I have put Lubuntu or AntiX on older computers and been very satisfied.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    By the time I had seen this last post, I already installed the Xubuntu desktop. So far it does feel more "snappy." How does Lubuntu compare?

Lubuntu is another desk top that uses fewer resources than gnome, so works better with low resource computers. I like it better than Xfce, but many prefer Xfce to Lxde. Try both and see which one you like.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Get the facts & decide for yourself. The DEs chosen have been getting lighter and lighter. Now try one without a Desktop Environment --
    see Silver Bear's Intro to antiX of which Swift Linux is based upon. Nothing wrong with either lubuntu or peppermint, either. Just a better choice, performance-wise. BTW, 1GB RAM is more than enough for any of the above, plus adequate for LinuxMint LXDE.

Have fun!
    Last edited by zenwalker; 08-12-2011 at 06:00 AM. Reason: add links