Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All Not a newbie myself, but looking to help some newbies I work with. I work in operations for a reasonably large company, and many of our systems and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Looking for a easy tutorial for staff

Hi All

Not a newbie myself, but looking to help some newbies I work with.

I work in operations for a reasonably large company, and many of our systems and field machines are starting to move to linux, mostly command-line only stuff.

I myself am very knowledgeable with linux, but I have trouble passing this knowledge down the the team, and I don't think we're quite at a point where it's worth getting paid linux courses.

Does anybody know of any really simple, shortish tutorials, preferably hands-on (I can provide linux environments for them to practice with), that could at least get them comfortable in the shell?
    Unfortunately many of the staff are not all that tech-savy, but I think even some very basic knowledge (like say, how to check logs in field machines) would be great, hopefully taking some workload off the techs who have more important things to do than read logs off some box in the middle of nowhere.

Thanks all
    Last edited by Hoggs; 09-07-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Hello and Welcome!

Give a look at LinuxCommands.org. It's a well laid out page that should help your team pick up on some basic steps.
    Also, The 5-Minute Essential Shell Tutorial - Linux Mint Community. It's worth a look as well.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

"Give a look at LinuxCommands.org. It's a well laid out page that should help your team pick up on some basic steps."

A very good tutorial. I am using this manual to learn. I have very little knowledge about command lines, but can follow the tutorial easily, because the instructions are clear and easy to understand.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

The first one recommended by jayd512 is always my own first recommendation, but another nice tutorial can be found here:

UNIX / Linux Tutorial for Beginners
    oz

Linux Enthusiast
    This a well written "Linux Tutorial" for new people.
    Linux Classes

Just Joined!
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I especially like the suggestion from ozar, it seems very good for explaining to less tech-savy people, with its diagrams and examples.
    I will pass these on to the staff and see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    The first one recommended by jayd512 is always my own first recommendation...
    Gotta give credit where credit is due. oz is the reason I know about that link!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.