Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm big into Windows Computers and I do alot of IT on them. I heard from some of my techie friends that you can do alot more with a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Total Noob Question

Hi, I'm big into Windows Computers and I do alot of IT on them. I heard from some of my techie friends that you can do alot more with a computer if you use some type of linux. However, I don't want to loose Windows and I don't want to have to cart around yet another CD. So, I was told that booting from a USB would be best. But, I was told by a friend that it will erase my OS when I boot from the USB. So, I come to you, Linux Masters to ask if such a thing is true or even possible or if you have some other idea for me. I thank you all in advance for your time and help.

Hello and Welcome!

Booting from USB is a perfectly viable option, and does not wipe your current OS.
    In fact, many people carry around a USB drive loaded with a Linux distro for computer repair or file recovery.
    Take a look here: UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads
    Lots of good info to be had!

Another way to go, if you have some spare space on your hard drive, is to set-up a dual boot system. Power on your computer, make a choice of Windows or Linux at boot time. Check that same link for that, as well.
    Or, setup a VM with something like Virtual Box.

Take a look at those options, and let us know what sounds good to you.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. I am so happy someone got back to me so quickly and the confirmation that the USB boot doesn't wipe is the last obstactle between me and linux. Thank You Again. A mod may now close this forum.

Had another thought for you...
    Although I've never done it, I know for a fact that you can also use an SD card instead of a USB stick.
    So the choices are definitely there for you.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Nods.
    I have used external discs, with a casing that is "open" so i can switch disks, this have made it possible to have different distros installed on dufferent disks, and then swapping em and boot via usb to get a writeable install with abit more space =)
    Then again, i have friends who supply me with old IDE/SATA disks that are to small for their uses at their work, but a 20-80Gb disk will make perfect room for learning.

Just Joined!
    I have wondered if it would be possible to boot and run linux from an external usb hard disk drive but have been left completely baffled (I am a newbie to linux in many ways).

I have an external hard drive which I would like to install another distro to (install and experiment with).

I have tried adjusting settings in my bios but still cannot boot from external hard disk with distro installed on.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rich

Just Joined!
    I have been using Unetbootin to make the installs on external disks
    Also you could install Virtualbox on your windows machine and then use the external disk as a holder for/of the diskfiles, it depends on what you are experimenting with in the linux installs if it is suitable to hae it running as a virtualmachine