Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I just purchased a linux based VPS and I think I might have made a mistake. LOL. I really have no idea how this thing works. I did ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just purchased a Linux VPS - What did I just get myself into?

Hello all,

I just purchased a linux based VPS and I think I might have made a mistake. LOL. I really have no idea how this thing works. I did however download Putty SSH client and I've logged into the command console, but I just don't know how to set this thing up. The system I'm running on is CentOS.

For instance how do I:

• Install PHP
    • Install MySQL
    • Install FTP Client
    • Setup Domain
    • Install Joomla
    • Setup Email

Any type of help or direction pointing would greatly be appreciated. I'm sure once I get use to the command console, things will only get better.

Php,mysql should be there by default.Else just do a "yum install <software-name>" - I think joomla is similar to drupal installation ,so installation shouldn't take more than few minutes.

I don't know to setup domain though. May be "howtoforge" or linuxhomenetworking are a good sites to begin within. HTH
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org