Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings, I'm a network admin looking to save some company $$ by setting a linux box for password-protected shares, rather than sending more money to Redmond. I've set up four ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian Samba issue from a newbie

Greetings,

I'm a network admin looking to save some company $$ by setting a linux box for password-protected shares, rather than sending more money to Redmond.

I've set up four shares for four users: Jeff (the boss), Pam, Myrna, and Tia. The idea is for everyone to upload copies of all of their disorganized company materials, so they can be sorted and cataloged and various versions of documents can be combined and standardized. Later we'll work on a read-only repository with master copies of form letters and whatnot.

Pam, Myrna, and Tia should have password-protected access to their own directories, while Jeff should have access to his own as well as the other three. (all four users are running XP).

Pam, Myrna, and Tia connect properly; they get a prompt for a password when they double-click the server; they can then view all four directories but only access their own. Mapping a drive as a persistent share works fine, too.

The problem is Jeff. I created his userlogon (jeff) exactly as I did the others, and I've even deleted him and re-created him.

The only difference I can find is that Jeff signs on to his local machine with a password, but the others do not. However, I cannot access the shares using his logon from any of the other computers, which do not require passwords to log on.

Here's the relevant part of my smb.conf (let me know if there are other relevant parts):

security = user
    guest account = nobody

[JEFF]
    comment = Jeff's stuff
    path = /share/Jeff
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = no
    public = yes
    create mask = 7777
    directory mask = 7777
    valid users = jeff

[MYRNA]
    comment = Myrna's stuff
    path = /share/Myrna
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = no
    public = yes
    create mask = 7777
    directory mask = 7777
    valid users = jeff, myrna

[PAM]
    comment = Pam's stuff
    path = /share/Pam
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = no
    public = yes
    create mask = 7777
    directory mask = 7777
    valid users = jeff, pam

[TIA]
    comment = Tia's stuff
    path = /share/Tia
    browseable = yes
    writeable = yes
    guest ok = no
    public = yes
    create mask = 7777
    directory mask = 7777
    valid users = jeff, tia

My gut says that the smb.conf isn't the problem (at least this part of it, anyways), since he should be able to access any of the four directories.

Please let me know what direction I should be looking at, and keep in mind I'm a n00b to Samba. (I do have a Ubuntu box running Timetrex for the company for the past two years with no problems.

Just Joined!
    Well, it was my fault - I had forgotten to add user "jeff" to samba. So, one little typed line

sudo smbpasswd -a jeff

solved the problem.