Find the answer to your Linux question:
With ubootnetin I can copy the iso file to a USB but how to I get the rest of the file on to it. Thanks in advance!...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Create Live USB drive form Live CD:

With ubootnetin I can copy the iso file to a USB but how to I get the rest of the file on to it.

Thanks in advance!

Linux Guru
    Unetbootin doesn't copy the file to a usb if done right, it installs it to the usb which should then be bootable. What rest of the file are you referring to? Do you have an iso image on your computer or are you selecting one to download?

When you open unetbootin, you should see options. At the top, you can click the radio button to the left of Distribution if you want to select a distro to download. If you have an iso image on your computer, click the radio button to the left of DiskImage. It should show ISO in the box immediately to the right. Farther to the right is an empty box with a tab to the right of it with three dots. Click the tab and navigate to the folder where your iso image is. Below that to the right of Type you should have USB and the drive should show whatever your usb drive is, sdb, sdc, etc.. Find the right one and click OK and the process begins.

Thanks for the Reply!

Unetbootin will only sellect a single file and a Live DVD has many files.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    So what's the problem? If you use unetbootin, it installs the OS to the usb. If you loop mount the iso file to see the various directories/files you can then copy them to a usb and make it bootable. That's a different method. I'm not sure what your point is or what you are trying to do.

Quote Originally Posted by theKbStockpiler View Post
    With ubootnetin I can copy the iso file to a USB but how to I get the rest of the file on to it.
    What do you mean by rest of the files? First you need to create an iso of the cd. Then using unetbootin create the bootable usb. All the files inside the cd will be inside the usb after that.

Smile Thanks for the Replies!

I assumed that a tool to put a O.S on a USB would take tare of the multi file aspect , cd/dvd directly to Usb flash drive with no pit stop. Why mention making a bootable usb and leave the cd/dvd burner part out? I had brasero make an iso image which it eventually spit out and unetbootin eventually spit out a usable usb versions of Knoppix and Gentoo Live. Thanks for pointing out that a entire iso image had to be made!
    Last edited by theKbStockpiler; 10-05-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by theKbStockpiler View Post
    Thanks for pointing out that a entire iso image had to be made!
    Your Welcome!