Find the answer to your Linux question:
Help! I have a SnapServer that is Linux based. I work for a small business and I took over IT a few months ago. This SnapServer is 3 years out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Crashed Linux Based NAS

Help!

I have a SnapServer that is Linux based. I work for a small business and I took over IT a few months ago. This SnapServer is 3 years out of warranty and it has been quirky for a while.

Well, it has a lot of issues and it basically crashed yesterday. SnapServer support will not help and their website is painfully slow and not very helpful. Being a total newbie with Linux, I don't know where to begin.

First, it wont bring up it's administrative GUI because network information on the server will not stay. I tried the route add command to set the IP and default gateway. I could get it to ping finally but this information doesn't surrive a reboot. And I couldn't get it to set the subnet mask.

Second, when using putty, I captured all of the boot up info and it looks like the system directory may be out of space. From the CLI, what can I safely remove to free up space. This could be the main issue here.

Third, because I can't get to the GUI, the network shares are also gone and I can't get our data back. We've decided to get a new NAS, so getting our archived data is priority one. I tried hooking up an external (NTFS formatted) USB drive but the system never could detect it. And I don't know really how to get around linux via CLI to find out where my files are to restore.

This is a mess as you can see but I am betting this is easy for someone else. Bottom line...it would be easiest to get the GUI back up so I can restore the shares, get the data off and shut it down. If that wont work, I need a way, via the CLI, to locate my data, copy over to an external drive and be done with it.

Thanks!
    Brian

Trusted Penguin
    It appears that Snap Server runs GuardianOS - possibly a BSD derivative? Anyway, this site has some info on Snap Servers and troubleshooting.

Never used SnapServer, but if its an nfs share, try checking /etc/exports. If its samba, try looking in /etc/samba/smb.conf. These files should contain share information depending on your setup.

If its a BSD like atreyu said, try checking under /usr/local/etc instead of /etc.
    linux user # 503963

Just Joined!

a general approach

If you're out of space on the main partition, then a number of things won't work properly. It's possible it doesn't have space to save the config files for the networking.

The command df will show you how much space is used, and you can do
    du -sk * | sort -n
    To show the directories in size order. If there are directories that are large but don't seem like they should be, cd there and snoop more.

I'd start by going to /tmp and looking for old, big files.
    Then I'd go over to /var/log and see if there are old log files that can be deleted or zeroed out.
    If the server has been trying to send out email, there may be a bunch queued up in /var/spool/mail or /var/mail .

You get the idea... cd, ls, and du your way around the system until you find enough space to get it working properly again.

John

Quote Originally Posted by garak0410 View Post
    Help!

First, it wont bring up it's administrative GUI because network information on the server will not stay. I tried the route add command to set the IP and default gateway. I could get it to ping finally but this information doesn't surrive a reboot. And I couldn't get it to set the subnet mask.

Second, when using putty, I captured all of the boot up info and it looks like the system directory may be out of space. From the CLI, what can I safely remove to free up space. This could be the main issue here.

Third, because I can't get to the GUI, the network shares are also gone and I can't get our data back. We've decided to get a new NAS, so getting our archived data is priority one. I tried hooking up an external (NTFS formatted) USB drive but the system never could detect it. And I don't know really how to get around linux via CLI to find out where my files are to restore.

This is a mess as you can see but I am betting this is easy for someone else. Bottom line...it would be easiest to get the GUI back up so I can restore the shares, get the data off and shut it down. If that wont work, I need a way, via the CLI, to locate my data, copy over to an external drive and be done with it.

Thanks!
    Brian

If nothing else works, you can pull the drives from the device and connect them to a linux-like PC. Most distributions will be able to mount the filesystems without any problem, but you probably have to connect all drives simultaneously. How many drives are there in the device?
    Personally I would take an old external USB disk enclosure to put the drives in, but then again, I have couple of these thing lying around.