Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Most of my computers are about the speed of the OP (2.6Ghz Celeron, 1.8Ghz Sempron), and they range in memory from 256 megs to 2 gigs. All of them run ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Most of my computers are about the speed of the OP (2.6Ghz Celeron, 1.8Ghz Sempron), and they range in memory from 256 megs to 2 gigs. All of them run Debian Squeeze with the default GNOME desktop just fine--if you find GNOME is too sluggish then XFCE is trivial to install, and IceWM is even leaner.

Out-of-box, I find Debian Squeeze significantly leaner and faster than Ubuntu LTS on these machines. (I run Ubuntu LTS on my newer laptops, and tried out both Ubuntu LTS and Debian Squeeze on a couple desktops before settling on Debian on all of them.)
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!
    I recently switched from vanilla Ubuntu to Bodhi (an Ubuntu derivative), which uses Enlightenment (e17) for a window manager. It (e17) is fast, lightweight and (I think) easy to use. I have access to all the Ubuntu repositories, as well as Debian if I need them. I use my slow laptop for the same basic things as you, plus some intense graphics work every couple of weeks.

Try some of these (mentioned above) as a live disk or USB before you commit!

Just Joined!
    If a minimal distro will suit your needs, Slitaz is very fast (and very small as well). Slax is fast but installing it the HDD is complicated. On older, resource challenged laptops I've had great luck with Mepis 8.0 but it's built on the previous stable version of Debian (Lenny) so you can't get the latest versions some apps (like Firefox, Chrome and flash).

You mention Xubuntu. It is designed for computers with older hardware, or less capable hardware compared to newer ones. I would say that Xubuntu would be a good choice. You have the enormous support resources from Canonical as you do for Ubuntu, and the apps in the software centre too.
    I don't like the forced-upon-you Unity interface either.
    However, you can easily get around that by getting the previously-latest release, Xubuntu 11.04, and installing that (or find 10.10 and do an upgrade). Get all normal software and security updates as normal, but don't upgrade.
    After you finally restart, go to System Settings -> Login Screen, Unlock, then select "Ubuntu Classic" as "default session".
    Log out, log in, and all will be back to a much more acceptable normal desktop environment.

Don't 'upgrade' to 11.10 as this will permanently force the Unity interface on you. You can install the non-unity-style Gnome Desktop, but that doesn't give you any of the functionality that you would want.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by reginaldperrin View Post
    You have the enormous support resources from Canonical as you do for Ubuntu, and the apps in the software centre too.
    What are these "enormous support resources"?

There are online forums, like this one. And the Ubuntu Forums, which are quite active.
    Online documentation in the form of reviews and How-To articles.
    And many fixes that are written about Debian can be applied to Ubuntu.
    Last edited by jayd512; 10-17-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added link
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I wouldn't class the 'buntu forums as an "enormous support resource", enormous... yes.

Re: Which Distro For Max Speed

I always recommend Puppy Linux. The Luci 5.28 is part Ubuntu "Lucid" and uses the very light JWM Window Manager.

Lotsa packages available, great for low-RAM, slower processor machines like your Celeron.

Choice of web browsers includes Chromium and Firefox. Live CD is downloadable and installs easily. Only around 200MB total distro pre-add-ons.

canineloop

Just Joined!
    Wow, I am overwhelmed by the number of helpful responses, thanks guys.

I got xubuntu up and running and it is definitely faster, and yes I thought better of upgrading to 11.10. I am having some issues with the system freezing when the screensaver comes on which I am looking into. Any ideas?

I reckon this machine could go even faster, so looking to go the CRUX route. I know for it's more experienced uses but I like a challenge

Just Joined!
    BTW is it possible to install Linux by mounting an ISO rather than burning to a CD?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast