Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello all, well when connect my server to the desktop where centos 5.6 has been installed,it asks for my username and password and after giving that it is supppose to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I cannot see the GUI in a server using CentOS 5.6

hello all,

well when connect my server to the desktop where centos 5.6 has been installed,it asks for my username and password and after giving that it is supppose to go to the GUI mode but it gives the following error:

"Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds.If you have not logged out yourself,this could mean that there is some installation problem or that you may be out of diskspace.Try logging in with one of the fail safe sessions if you can fix this problem.

~/xsession -errors-file."

can anyone out here help me out? and i don.t know what is fail safe sessions suppose to mean..

thanks...

log-in in text mode (do CTRL-ALT-F2 and use your username and password) then take a look down the file it says to look at - type 'cat xsession-errors-file' at the command prompt.

It should tell you what's going wrong, but if you can't work it out, then try to post the error details from that file to here and we can take a look.

Did you check the disk space as it suggests? (do a 'df -h' at the command prompt).
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    ya i tried doing ctrl-alt-f2 but that isnt working so cant open that xsession file and i checked the disk space also,it is fine and has the following:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/cciss/c0d0p10 2.8G 865M 1.8G 33% /
    /dev/cciss/c0d0p9 5.3G 184M 4.8G 4% /opt
    /dev/cciss/c0d0p8 9.5G 245M 8.8G 3% /home
    /dev/cciss/c0d0p7 9.5G 151M 8.9G 2% /tmp
    /dev/cciss/c0d0p3 19G 596M 18G 4% /var
    /dev/cciss/c0d0p5 19G 2.8G 16G 16% /usr
    /dev/cciss/c0d0p2 53G 200M 50G 1% /usr/local
    /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 487M 66M 396M 15% /boot
    tmpfs 4.0G 0 4.0G 0% /dev/shm
    so i guess the disk space is fine..

Can you log-in as another user? If you have another set of credentials you can use, even if it's the root user, you can take a look at the errors file that has been created.

Just Joined!
    ya i did login in as diferent user but am i suppose to view the error files,it isnt located anywhere?

You could log-in as the failing user again, this should generate the error again. If you take careful note of where it tells you the error file is generated, you should be able to view it from the command prompt. The alternative is to look in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file - but that may become complicated to read if you log in to the GUI again after the failure.