Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. Ive got Windows on my first hard drive and Ubuntu 11.10 on my second. In the past Ive always installed windows first and Ubuntu second. Also, I've written the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Dual Boot Issues -- 2 hard drives

Hello. Ive got Windows on my first hard drive and Ubuntu 11.10 on my second. In the past Ive always installed windows first and Ubuntu second. Also, I've written the Grub for Ubuntu to the Windows hard drive. I believe I was overwriting the Windows boot loader by doing this. But it always worked.

Now with 11.10, we have a problem. When I write my grub in the Ubuntu locate it on sda (the first, windows drive), it corrupts makes the windows boot impossible. All the system will do is, after some delay, throw you into ubuntu.

So I have to go back from scratch and reload windows. But I have to do a MBR-fix on the windows drive to get it to boot up properly.

Then I install Ubuntu on the second drive but this time chose the grub location to be sdb (the second, ubuntu drive). When I reboot after doing this, it goes into windows. So I used a program called EASYbcd to add ubuntu to the windows loader. So now I go through 2 boot loaders upon startup, first the windows bootloader and second the ubuntu grub bootloader. And this works, but isn't as elegant or fast as my old way.

A couple of questions: If I just wanted to tap the F-12 upon boot-up to change my boot order then could I install Ubuntu and just select it's drive to get to ubuntu. And, similarly, could I just highlight the windows drive to for my windows? If I was to do this, where would I want to place my grub? It didn't work for me no matter where I put the grub. I even tried leaving grub out altogether.

Also, has anyone else had issues dual booting to two hard drives. It always worked in the past if I placed the ubuntu grub on sda. It worked so well that way.

Is it possible for you to switch hard disks through Cable Select or Jumper settings? Set Ubuntu Hard disk as sda1, install GRUB in its MBR and set it as First Boot Device in BIOS. Actually, its default in all Linux distros.

Ubuntu installer will detect Windows OS during installation and setup dual boot. In case, Windows hard disk was unplugged or you have installed GRUB later on, execute grub-update command. It will detect Windows OS and regenerate GRUB Menu.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First