Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys I made a bootable USB with Yumi and I wanted to change the picture of the penguin to something else. I made a new one, saved it as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Changing YUMI.png file in pendrivelinux

Hey guys I made a bootable USB with Yumi and I wanted to change the picture of the penguin to something else. I made a new one, saved it as PNG and replaced the picture but when I boot with the usb I get the boot screen but its all black. No penguin and not the picture I added in.

Anyone know how to successfully change the yumi.png file so that the picture will actually show up?

TIA

Just Joined!
    Did the dimensions of the new image match the original YUMI.png?

I matched mine just in case (640x480px) as I remember.

But the only problem though is that the original YUMI+Penguin still shows up in the menu whenever you are choosing whether to boot from hard disk or to choose a distro to boot from, and that your custom image will only show up after the fact you wanted to boot from a installed distro.
    Last edited by xcldx; 12-23-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Found out later I could change it.

Linux Guru
    Did you change the line for the png image in whichever boot file YUMI uses? Simply replacing the original image with a new one won't do anything. More detail on what you did might help someone give you more information.

Just Joined!
    I did change or add the line "menu background <filename>.png" to every config file in the following directories/files (which are the only ones you need to change):

/multiboot/syslinux.cfg
    (the main menu)
    /multiboot/menu/
    (the distro selection menu)
    /multiboot/(distro name)/
    (Depends on the distro - may or may not have a CFG file - check your installation folders. Some distros come with their own boot background)

But that's the long way - I think it would also work if you overwrite the original YUMI.png with whatever your image is - as all of the bootable config files are automatically tied to it (although I haven't tried it), as long as it's the same resolution as the original YUMI.png, and provided you haven't changed anything in the config files yet.
    Last edited by xcldx; 12-23-2012 at 10:13 PM.