Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, The rlogin doesn't work ! it works fine when I use the local loop(i.e., specifying localhost) as the IP address. It doesn't work with any other remote IP address, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to make rlogin work

hi,
    The rlogin doesn't work ! it works fine when I use the local loop(i.e., specifying localhost) as the IP address. It doesn't work with any other remote IP address, I have tried it by connecting to my friends machine after logging in . what may be the problem! Please help.

Linux Guru
    Do you have the rlogin server started on the other computers?

Just Joined!
    yes the server on the other side is running and I have also enabled the rlogin option in the /etc/xinetd/rlogin file!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    If this happened to me, I'd strace rlogin. If you know how, do it. It usually solves anything. strace is my universal miracle cure.
    If you can't strace, what kind of error message do you get?
    Have you configured the .rhosts file on the target machines?

Just Joined!
    hi,
    Thanks a lot for saying me about the strace utility. It is great. I didnot try it for this problem,my friend was not online but I tried it for other programs it is cool.
    when I run rlogin I don't get connected to the remote machine at all. It says connection failed!

Linux Guru
    I cannot replicate a "connection failed" in any way. Are you sure it's not "connection refused"?
    Once again, have you configured your .rhosts file on the remote machine?

Just Joined!
    What is that .rhosts file, I searced it in my comp I couldn't find it. where are they located and what should I alter in that.
    Now,I am coding a rlogin client and server myself. I can now connect to other machine and access it through my program! But it doesn't have the full functionality. It has some problem when I use vi command. I wanted to know how can I change the mode of the terminal(client) so that each character is sent as and when it is typed. Now in my program it is sent to server only when we press enter key. I don't want to set the terminal to a raw mode.I just want it have all the other functionalities but for this one that I mentioned.

Linux Guru
    That seems incredibly unneccesary. If you really want to, check out ncurses (or the terminal ioctl's), but I'm not sure if you should be writing rlogin applications yourself, when there are already existing ones out there. If you really can't make rlogin work, use telnet or ssh instead (which is recommended either way, though).
    It hits me, though, that I don't think that rlogin actually must use .rhosts, unlike rsh and rexec. I guess it depends on the PAM config on the target machine, of course.
    Anyway, you should try and find out what's wrong with the rlogin installation first, I believe. Try telnetting to port 513 on the target machine and see if the rlogin server responds at all. Then strace the client and server to find out where it goes wrong.

Just Joined!
    Hey one thing that I forget all the time is the firewall. Make sure a firewall isn't running on the remote systems that is blocking you out.

Whoops didn't realize the date on these posts. 3 years ago

Linux User
    Use ssh, its more secure(less vunrable to evesdroping)
    All i want for christmas is a new liver....a second chance to get afflicted with Cirrhosis