Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to setup a Linux Server on Win7 / Virtual Box for developmet/testing (LAMP, JavaScript). I am gonna need the following programs installed: MySQL Imagemagic Mencoder Ffmpeg Flvtool Qt-faststart ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What distro for server

I want to setup a Linux Server on Win7 / Virtual Box for developmet/testing (LAMP, JavaScript). I am gonna need the following programs installed:

MySQL
    Imagemagic
    Mencoder
    Ffmpeg
    Flvtool
    Qt-faststart
    Ioncube loader
    PHP

I know that choice comes down to:

Centos
    Fedora
    Debian
    Red Hat
    Ubuntu (somebody told me not to get this one because root is disabled by default, and that it can be changed but it is not recommended)

I also need to figure out if I need to connect from Win7 to Virtual Box Linux through something like Putty within the same computer. I read somewhere that I need two separate computers or a network card for something like that.

Thank you.

Hello and Welcome.
    We have a poll here to get the best results. We get this question often so these opinions might help you form your own.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...ge-2011-a.html
    Keep in mind, 3 of your choices are RPM based distros. Fedora, Redhat and CentOS. The other 2 are Debian. You might have a look at some of the other suggested distros also.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If you know what the sites are going to run on, I'd recommend trying to match that environment.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well in my experience anything redhat based would be good for servers and since your running it in a virtual machine you want something that is more lightweight for RAM reasons try centOS thats what my server runs off

Just Joined!
    For me in order
    1- RHEL
    2- debian
    3- centos
    - ubuntu server

Trusted Penguin
    If you go the RHEL route, be sure to check out the EPEL repos, as it may have some packages you want that won't be in the RHEL repos.

You can also go with Fedora b/c you can easily make a server out of it, as it has pretty much every software package available to it (that you care about) that comes with RHEL, plus Fedora repos are way huger than RHELs.

You may as well go w/CentOS, instead of RHEL (as CentOS is binary compatible w/RHEL) btw, unless need tech support and want to pay for it.

If the Linux VM is on your Win 7 machine, then yeah, you can use Putty to connect to your Linux VM (via SSH). Or install cygwin on your Win 7 box for a more fully featured Linux-ish environment.

Considering what you want to do, IMO I'd go w/F15.
    Last edited by atreyu; 11-08-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: link