Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed CentOS 6 on Win 7 / Virtual Box (centos.sonn.com/6.0/isos/i386/CentOS-6.0-i386-LiveCD.iso). I want to set up a server at home and learn how to do it etc. I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Starting with CentOS 6

I just installed CentOS 6 on Win 7 / Virtual Box (centos.sonn.com/6.0/isos/i386/CentOS-6.0-i386-LiveCD.iso). I want to set up a server at home and learn how to do it etc. I am wondering about few things:

1) Do I have the right program (It has a GUI and I am not sure if it is the server "edition"; I followed the following video and person is talking about Server, so... (youtube.com/watch?v=FOkHJ2Q4vR4)

2) Does everything about Red Hat, like books, certification training materials, tutorials on the net etc, apply to CentOS as well, or is it better to stick just to CentOS materials

3) What is the general direction I need to go now (modify the system according to my needs, learn command line, istall a program like Webmin or cPanel, install MySQL and PHP etc; just looking for genereal ideas of how is it gonna look etc)

Thank you
    Last edited by jtt89; 11-04-2011 at 10:35 AM.

1. CentOS is the server edition. As far as I know there is only one version. The differences between a server OS and a desktop OS are down to the packages that are installed, and vendors use this to differentiate their pricing schemes. Where licensing is unfettered, which is the case with CentOS, you can install both server and client tools if you really want.

2. CentOS is a source-code level rebuild of RedHat Enterprise Linux, with modified branding images which they aren't allowed to use. CentOS does provide an extra repository for packages that breaks compatibility, but if you don't use that it's binary-compatible with the RedHat system. As a result all RedHat documentation also applies to CentOS.

3. My advice is to set up stuff you want to use, and then use them - Windwos compatibility with Samba is a good place to start. Or a web server. Or email. Or, as you say, a database, possibly tied to a web server. Once you start delivering what you want to use now, you'll begin to find other things that you could really do with having configured.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Trusted Penguin
    I would add to 3., set up the machine to perform updates (automatically or manually - you decide). Then perform a complete system update, reboot, and verify the state of the system (did your kernel version change, is networking still working, etc.)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I would agree 100% with what both Roxoff and atreyu said. I run SL (Scientific Linux) 6, which like CentOS, is a Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) clone. All system and application documentation, certifications, etc. will apply to both SL and CentOS as they do to RHEL. In fact, a lot of the time, links to documentation on the SL and CentOS web sites will direct you to documents on the Red Hat site.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!