Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I installed 11.10 a few months ago and have had a lot of problems with display of fields, text, sections of web sites, layout etc on the web browser. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Some Problems with Firefox after installing 11.10

Hi

I installed 11.10 a few months ago and have had a lot of problems with display of fields, text, sections of web sites, layout etc on the web browser. I am not sure what is wrong can anyone help?

I have attached screen shot of the pane I am typing in just now to show some of the problems. It seems like the website (almost any site) is just white with black thin lines dividing sections of the site and buttons/frames are all out of synch. Also had problems with black text boxes showing white writing (instead of black writing on white background) on some sites.

I also noticed in my system settings it says graphics driver unknown?

Thanks in anticipation

LNNewbie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have you installed Firefox theme or Gnome theme? Have you tried to change Gnome theme?

I don't think its a Graphics Card driver problem. Which Graphics Card do you have? Execute following commands in Terminal :
    Code:
    lspci | grep -i vga
    grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Have you installed Firefox theme or Gnome theme? Have you tried to change Gnome theme?

As far as I am aware - No. I just done an update from update manager and this has not changed anything as far as I can see

I don't think its a Graphics Card driver problem. Which Graphics Card do you have?

Execute following commands in Terminal :

lspci | grep -i vga

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)

grep -i driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf

grep: /etc/X11/xorg.conf: No such file or directory
    See bold bits in quote above for answers.

Thanks

LNNewbie

Latest version of most of distros don't use xorg.conf file and your Graphics Card is well supported by Ubuntu. You don't have to install any driver or use custom xorg.conf file.

Try renaming .mozilla folder in your home folder.
    Close Firefox and execute this in Terminal :
    Code:
    cd
    mv .mozilla .mozilla_bak
    Check if Firefox works fine now.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Latest version of most of distros don't use xorg.conf file and your Graphics Card is well supported by Ubuntu. You don't have to install any driver or use custom xorg.conf file.

Try renaming .mozilla folder in your home folder.
    Close Firefox and execute this in Terminal :
    Code:
    cd
    mv .mozilla .mozilla_bak
    Check if Firefox works fine now.
    Is that the mozilla directory in home/usr/lib ?

What would i rename it to?

Can you explain a bit more about what this command is doing? I know it is moving the directory folder but from where to where and why?

Code:
    cd
    mv .mozilla .mozilla_bak
    Thanks

LNNewbie

mv command will rename .mozilla folder in your /home/user_id folder. .mozilla folder contains Firefox settings, extensions, bookmarks, Add-ons and a few other things. If you will rename it, Firefox will regenerate it on next execution and set everything to default.

Backup your bookmarks before renaming .mozilla folder. You can recover those after renaming too.