Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
LFS is great as you can get a *real* bare bones system, and you know for sure what's on it once you have it built since you did it yourself. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LFS is great as you can get a *real* bare bones system, and you know for sure what's on it once you have it built since you did it yourself. Just watch out for some gotchas if you run the rc's out right now, with gcc-4.6 and glibc-2.14 causing some issues compiling certain packages. For instance the missing rpc problems with glibc, which breaks a ton of packages. In other words - be prepared to do a lot of googling for patches and fixes that haven't made it into BLFS yet.

Short of that I'd definitely recommend Slackware. The dependency thing is way overblown - Slackware's package tools give you what you really need and run fast. If you are missing a dependency, google can tell you where to find it in under a minute usually. And Slackware is not only fast but it's stable. Best of all they don't patch the hell out of everything and decide how you want your system configured for you - those things are left up to the user.

Package management for Slackware can also be done with CRUX ports which will compile packages from source and take care of dependencies. I wouldn't rely on it for distro upgrades but it's very handy when installing applications. It's been a while since I ran Slackware but used CRUX4Slack and was pleased with it. So much so, it put me onto going with CRUX altogether!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

I'm currently running Slack.
    The dependency resolution, or lack of, isn't a big deal for me.
    Really, it's just a minor speed-bump until you get the hang of it.
    And using the SlackBuilds site only makes it easier, at first.
    It lists which dependencies you need.
    Last edited by jayd512; 11-19-2011 at 01:49 PM.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

oz
    forum.guy
    Fast Linux distro?
    Theoretically, all distros should run at about the same speed if they have the same packages installed and are configured the same, but that rarely happens by default with the various distros that are available. That said, I've found Arch, Crux, and Slackware to feel faster on my machines than other distros, with Crux feeling the fastest. Generally speaking, the lighter the distro, and the fewer the number of services running, the faster it should be if configured properly.
    oz

Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Generally speaking, the lighter the distro, and the fewer the number of services running, the faster it should be if configured properly.
    Case in point. My CRUX MineCraft server that runs the game perfectly on 512 Ram!

Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2