Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to mount a www root directory on my web server through ssh so I can use Komodo to work on the files directly on my laptop. sshfs seems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Persistent sshfs

I'm trying to mount a www root directory on my web server through ssh so I can use Komodo to work on the files directly on my laptop. sshfs seems to be the obvious solution, and I got it to work, but whenever I close the terminal where I mounted the folder with sshfs, it unmounts. There doesn't seem to be anything about persistent mounting in the help listing or man page for sshfs. I don't want to have to leave a terminal open whenever I'm working; eventually, I hoped to be able to mount and unmount from Komodo's command launcher. I've done the obvious googling and I can't figure out where to start with this. Any ideas?

Imho, sshfs is not suitable for this task.
    May I suggest to use not a mount/filesystem for this, but a revision control system like svn or git?
    Both (and more) are supported by komodo:
    Komodo IDE 6 Features - Edit, Debug and Deploy Python, PHP, Ruby, JavaScript, Perl and More

In addition to the usual benefits of that approach (logs, diffs, rollbacks, branches, central place for storage, backup, authentication, encryption, etc)
    you avoid a problem with the use of sshfs: If you make an error (e.g. delete a wrong directory), then thatīs it. Files are gone.
    This cant happen with svn/git.

In addition I would even suggest to have the svn/git repo on a different machine.
    Last edited by Irithori; 11-17-2011 at 08:09 AM.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    But now I have to learn git

Thanks for the suggestion.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Pick any (komodo supported) revision control system, but pick one

But seriously: Using such a tool pays of.
    Without svn, I wouldnt know how to manage my scripts/configs/documentation/etc and share with my team of sysadmins.
    We use git at some spots, but the big migration (unfortunately) hasnt happened yet.

As you are probably a developer, you will have similar requirements.
    Our devs have a 3x20gb codebase in three repos, but then again: These guys are insane
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    No professional developers here; just a high-school nerd. I got git working as a VCS and as a nice deployment system with a couple of hours, a couple of tutorials and a lot of keyboard-mauling (no, not really. But I did run into a sizable dose of frustrating problems, as usual). I've also since discovered, and subsequently migrated all my web projects to, Aptana. Aptana is a much better editor than Komodo, and having a VCS (especially git)--awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions.