Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've been away from Linux long enough that I am basically a newbie again, so here we go... I work in medical imaging, and am running a virtualization of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RHEL 6: Windows XP Virtualization USB Speed

Hello,

I've been away from Linux long enough that I am basically a newbie again, so here we go...

I work in medical imaging, and am running a virtualization of Win XP so that I can interface with some legacy systems that don't support anything other than Windows for their applications. The problem that I am having is that when I add an external USB hard drive to my virtual machine it gives me the friendly Windows message about how it's a high-speed device and I should hook it to a high-speed (I assume USB 2) port. Because it doesn't see the port as USB 2 it takes forever to transfer files between my laptop and the external hard drive.

I know that the hardware is USB 2 compatible (this laptop used to be XP, and I never had a problem), and I am not sure if this is a Linux issue or a Windows issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Wes

Trusted Penguin
    Could this be a Microsoft issue? I thought straight-up Windows XP (no service packs, etc.) did not support USB high-speed. See this, for example.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What virtual machine manager are you using to run your XP image? You may need to reconfigure the VM to support USB 2.x instead of 1.x.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Morning,

Thank-you for your responses thus far...

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    Could this be a Microsoft issue? I thought straight-up Windows XP (no service packs, etc.) did not support USB high-speed.
    I have the latest Service Pack running, which does support the high-speed USB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    What virtual machine manager are you using to run your XP image? You may need to reconfigure the VM to support USB 2.x instead of 1.x.
    I am running the VM that installed with RHEL 6, Virtual Machine Manager 0.8.6 "Powered by libvirt". I am not at all familiar with VM, still fumbling around with some of it. I'll do some more Googling, but I didn't see any such setting anywhere I looked. Any further guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

-Wes

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, I run XP under Oracle's VirtualBox VMM and it does high-speed USB 2.0 just fine with the USB pass-through enabled. I seem to get full USB 2.0 speeds and use it for my printer, scanner, and thumb drives.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Update: Virtual Machine Manager updated to version 0.9.0 and now it supports high speed USB so I guess there was nothing I could have done anyhow. Thanks for the help, good-to-go now.