Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have tried 2 linux 'versions' and on both the wifi doesn't work. The USB is working fine, all programs working, I have internet by cable but no sign ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No wifi when using live USB

Hi,

I have tried 2 linux 'versions' and on both the wifi doesn't work.

The USB is working fine, all programs working, I have internet by cable but no sign of wifi.

When I used Ubuntu it asked me to download the drivers for Broadcom SAT.

I got an error message saying - SystemError: installArchives() failed

I have found many pages of advice on this issue but my problem is that as soon as I try to fix the issue the USB wont boot. I have to re-format it then install Ubuntu again, and it is taking me ages to try different solutions.

Is there a known issue with Broadcom and using a live USB? My laptop is a HP550.

Thanks for any help.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Broadcom WiFi devices require both the proprietary driver AND firmware. These can be downloaded and installed once your system is installed, but difficult on a Live image if they don't install them for you. Older versions of Ubuntu (9.04 and earlier) did that, but now you have to do it yourself. RHEL is similar - I use Scientific Linux 6.1 (clone of RHEL 6.1) on my laptop and I had to do some futzing to get it to work. Once properly installed, it works a treat, however. See this web page for details: Drivers - Linux Wireless
    Which driver you need depends upon the chip set your system is using. To determine that, boot into Linux, and start a command-line window. Then, execute the command "lspci" and post the output here. If your WiFi is a USB device, then use "lsusb" instead.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the information you asked for. Unfortunately it makes no sense to me! I looked at the link you gave me and can't see an applicable download.

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile GME965/GLE960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GME965/GLE960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GME965/GLE960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
    00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82562GT 10/100 Network Connection (rev 03)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
    10:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 11-29-2011 at 02:01 AM. Reason: Added Code Tags

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is the bit that we needed to see:
    Code:
    10:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
    This is a Broadcom b43 type device. This page should help you get sorted: b43 - Linux Wireless

I won't say it will be simple - some experimentation will be required - but if you keep trying the different options you should be able to get your wireless working. It helped me tremendously in getting the b43 chip set working on my Dell D630 laptop with Scientific Linux 6.1 (clone of RHEL 6.1). I wish it was as simple as "point-and-click", but it's not...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hey Rubberman, thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately I am no closer to fixing the issue.

When I try to install the various b43 drivers from my synaptics I get a lot of error messages and then my usb wont boot any more. Everytime I try to fix the solution I get one chance, that always fails, then I have to re-format my usb drive/memory stick and re-install Ubuntu.

The messages are (sorry, I should write them down fully) some thing about 'libtrans' and one that pops up when I try to install the STA drivers is 'SystemError: installArchives() failed'.

Also, my usb has been deeply formatted over 20 times now and linux installed - is this causing damage? What do you think?

Thanks for the help.