Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, What's the easiest way for me to share my data across users on two different linux distros. I'm dual booting Ubuntu and Badhi, both are linked to the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Securely Share Data on Dual Boot Machine

Hi All,

What's the easiest way for me to share my data across users on two different linux distros. I'm dual booting Ubuntu and Badhi, both are linked to the same partition /home but different user names. What is the easiest way to share (read and write access) for stuff from my Ubuntu user to my Badhi user. Thanks in advance
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Trusted Penguin
    You could use LUKS, it is a fairly commonplace filesystem encryption solution for Linux, though I don't know if the packages are available in those two distros.

Another solution is TrueCrypt. I use it a lot to share data b/t dualbooted machines that are Linux/Windows, but it would certainly work for two Linux boxes, too. It has both command line and GUI versions and is very scriptable.

Edit: Forgot good old gpg (GnuPG, free implementation of PGP - Pretty Good Privacy). Using the file-as-a-filesystem concept (you can do this w/TrueCrypt, too), you could (symmetrically or asymmetrically) encrypt a file with gpg. This is not as easy an option with Windows which is why I forgot to mention it before. Bonus is gpg is definitely available in your software repos.
    Last edited by atreyu; 12-02-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: gpg

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If I wanted to share data between different distros on the same physical machine, I would store it on a separate partition and mount that into the users' home directories. Encryption of the partition is also possible.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!