Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am having problems in getting my modem driver installed. I have a modem that I bought 6 years ago that came with drivers for Linux. Recently I decided to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Modem Driver

I am having problems in getting my modem driver installed. I have a modem that I bought 6 years ago that came with drivers for Linux. Recently I decided to take the plunge into Linux (OpenSuse 12.1). I followed the instructions that came with it and got the following:

linux-6qs2:/home/travis # make clean
    cd coredrv; make clean
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/travis/coredrv'
    rm -f *.o *~ core
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/travis/coredrv'
    cd serialdrv; make clean
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/travis/serialdrv'
    rm -f *.o *~ core
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/travis/serialdrv'
    rm -f *.o
    rm -f *.o
    linux-6qs2:/home/travis # make 536ep

Module precompile check
    Current running kernel is: 3.1.0-1.2-default
    /lib/modules... autoconf.h does not exist
    please install kernel source
    make: *** [check] Error 1
    linux-6qs2:/home/travis # make install
    bash 536ep-inst
    running kernel 3.1.0-1.2-default
    unsupported kernel version.
    make: *** [install] Error 1

The driver says that it supports 2.4.x kernels. How do I find an updated version that supports 3.1.x? Is there anyway a noob like me can somehow alter it so that it will support the newer kernel, or am I trying to go in over my head?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by tchundley View Post
    The driver says that it supports 2.4.x kernels. How do I find an updated version that supports 3.1.x?
    Hello and welcome!

Try checking your modem manufacturer's website for an updated driver if you haven't done so already.
    oz

The second message may well be spurious. You should never run make install until make has gone to completion without any errors.

It looks as if you don't have the kernel headers installed. Most distributions have a kernel headers package, so install that first. Then try make again.

If you can't find a kernel headers package, you will need to install full kernel source. Make sure you have a link called /usr/src/linux pointing to where your kernel source is. Then try the make step again. If it goes to completion without registering any errors, try installing again.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    With new systems (which one with a 3.x kernel would definitely be) you probably don't need to install a modem driver. Have you tried to get PPP working with the modem? Is it internal (connected to the bus), external (connected to either a serial or usb port), or what?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    It doesn't appear to have a web site. The manufacturer is XMedia, and the only thing that I can find related to them has to do with dj software. Maybe I should try an actual brand name modem.

Just Joined!
    The modem is PCI. I'm new to Linux and I have no idea on how to get anything configured. Is there a "Linux for Dummies" book that I can get and read to try and figure this out?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by tchundley View Post
    The modem is PCI. I'm new to Linux and I have no idea on how to get anything configured. Is there a "Linux for Dummies" book that I can get and read to try and figure this out?
    Ok. PCI is bus-connected. Please post the output of these two commands here: lspci and lsmod
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!