Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a Mandriva 2010 box that inadvertently has the first 64MB overwritten with garbage. Is there any way to recover files from the HDD, and if so, how? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Linux file recovery

Hi,

I have a Mandriva 2010 box that inadvertently has the first 64MB overwritten with garbage. Is there any way to recover files from the HDD, and if so, how?

Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, the 1st 64MB of data will include a lot of file system stuff that is difficult to get around. What happens if you boot a live or recovery cd/dvd/usb drive and try running fsck against the root file system? What about the boot sector and partition table? Did that also get munged? Also, did you have everything (except possibly swap) in one partition, or did you install to multiple ones. Example, for RHEL and clones, usually you get 3 partitions - /boot, /, and swap. If yours is like that, then it is possible (likely) that /boot is first, and you may just need to fix that. If so, then all the important stuff besides the kernels and such (which would be in /boot) will be accessible in /.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!