Find the answer to your Linux question:
I taught a basic UNIX class about 8 years ago using straight Telnet to connect. My school has asked me to teach it again. Not only am I very rusty, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How completely clear screen using putty?

I taught a basic UNIX class about 8 years ago using straight Telnet to connect. My school has asked me to teach it again. Not only am I very rusty, but now I have to use putty to connect. I have not been able to figure out how to CLEAR the entire buffer. When I issue the "clear" command the current screen gets cleared, but if I scroll back the old data is still there. I'd like to clear the whole buffer. I found a putty setting talking about "scrollback" but nothing I've tried works. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    ~Ken

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    It's been a number of years since I used Putty but I seem to recall that there is a "Terminal" tab or menu entry which should have a "Reset and Clear" option (or something like that), which should clear the screen as well as the scrollback buffer.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Havenīt tested it, but if you set "Lines of scrollback" in the "Window" section to zero, then there shouldnt be anything there.
    Hence: No old data
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    It's been a number of years since I used Putty but I seem to recall that there is a "Terminal" tab or menu entry which should have a "Reset and Clear" option (or something like that), which should clear the screen as well as the scrollback buffer.
    Thanks RM. Unfortunately, I did not find the kind of setting you're talking about on the puTTY software I downloaded.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    Havenīt tested it, but if you set "Lines of scrollback" in the "Window" section to zero, then there shouldnt be anything there.
    Hence: No old data
    Thanks Irithori. Looks like that works. However, I want to be able to have my cake and eat it to I' like having 200 lines to go back to, I'd just like to be able to clear it all when I want to.

Just Joined!
    Hi guys,

I know it's a been a while since this was originally posted but having just started to use putty I think I may have found a workable solution. Like apple01, I too like to have the option of scrollback lines, I have 10k at the moment. What works for me is to first type the 'clear scrollback' command which simply moves the lines out of view. If you scroll up annoyingly the lines are still there, they're just out of view. If you then click on the top left and select 'clear scrollback' from the menu you will notice that the scroll bar on the right dissapears and you will be left with just the one line at the top. This will in effect clear the scroll buffer.

Hope this helps

Charles
    Last edited by CharlesSantos; 04-06-2013 at 08:25 AM. Reason: missed an important word in the explanation