Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I'm coming from an almost purely Windows background with only minor experience with UNIX. But with a programming background, I'd really like to try my hand at linux. So as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Where to start?

I'm coming from an almost purely Windows background with only minor experience with UNIX. But with a programming background, I'd really like to try my hand at linux. So as a newbie, I have a couple of questions:

First, I think I will start with the Redhat 9.0 distro. From what I've been reading on these forums, this is good one to start with. Correct?

I currently have a 40GB drive running WinXP. For a dual boot, how much space should I partition for RH 9.0?

I do plan to do a lot more reading before jumping into things - there is some remarkable documentation out there. But if anyone has some good tips or pointers, please pass them on!!

TIA, and wish me luck!!

I am also a newbie, i have had some experience with linux and i have redhat 9 i really like it. it was really easy to install. i jst jumped into things so i am kind of overwhelmed with linux right now. but its coming along for me. i think redhat 9 is an excelent choice. i first used mandrake 7.1 or something and it was pretty nice, too. but i really like redhat 9. i am running my redhat 9 on a really slow computer but i was supprised how fast redhat 9 runs on it.

well i guess im jst kind of blabbering on so i will go now.

BIG K

Linux User
    Thanks for the input, big k.

I'm still wondering how much space I will require. I have to repartition the windows drive anyway (a reformat is becoming necessary - that's windows for ya), so how much would you recommend leaving for RH 9?

Linux Guru
    I would say allow 6 gig if your not going to be downloading big movies, mp3's etc onto your linux partition, otherwise increase accordingly.

Redhat is a pretty good distro to get started with, then after a couple of months or whenever you feel ready try some other distro's to find which one you prefer. (thats the thing about linux, you have a choice )

I started off my linux career on redhat, it is a powerful distro, but easy enough to use, which makes it ideal for anyone such as yourself venturing into the linux world.

On the tips side, have a look at fastlanwan's command line reference sheet in the tutorials section, it is a pretty good reference sheet, and dont forget to bookmark this_site_does_not_exist for your linux questions!

Jason

Linux User
    Thanks Jaguar, that's what I wanted to hear.

I'll keep using XP for my day-to-day stuff until I can get comfortable with linux, so the 6GB you recommend should be enough for me.

An aside: Before jumping to XP, I used to run litestep on win98 which I'm told resembles the graphical boot of linux. I really enjoyed that GUI and how easy it was to completely customize. I sure miss it and so that's one thing I'm looking forward to getting out of linux...

Linux Guru
    What programming languages are you into btw?

I do C on in a UNIX environment, and web development with Macromedia Coldfusion (and HTML obviously).

Jason

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar
    What programming languages are you into btw?
    Currently, I'm working with PeopleSoft (SAP competitor, if you're not familiar with it), which has it's own proprietary coding language called PeopleCode. Although I've never really played around in C, I'm told it's very similar. It runs on an Oracle database in a UNIX enviornment, so I've played around in UNIX quite a bit and know most of the commands. I'm also well versed in VBA, and html (who isn't?!?). And back in my mainframe days, it was Natural/ADABAS. Of course, it all started when I was about 10 - self taught BASIC on a Commodore64!!

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I think you made a good decision by starting with Redhat and see where you go from there and welcome to the board.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    How's your linux experience going so far?

How are you finding it compared to windows now?

Jason

Linux User
    Update:

So far I'm really enjoying linux. At home, I now have my desktop dual booting XP pro and RH 9.0. I also just recently built a linux firewall out of a 486 and get at least 1 DENY log entry ever 1-2 minutes. Thanks again for all your help sorting out that ISP mail issue, Jason.

To summarize how I find it compared to windoze, let me just say this - I leave the desktop logged in under linux almost all the time. I only switch to XP when I need to do something that I either haven't figured out yet for linux, or haven't bothered installing. For example, playing mpeg and avi clips.

Being a programmer by trade, I love the extra control I have over everything. When I have some more free time, I'll play with getting a more custom look on things (i.e. themes and x apps) and even playing with data sharing between the two systems.

Linux gets a big thumbs-up in my book!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast