Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
My eMachines netbook will only boot the external drives from a particular USB port. This is undocumented and took some trial and error to find the one. Maybe the Samsung ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Either at home or at work or down the pub

My eMachines netbook will only boot the external drives from a particular USB port. This is undocumented and took some trial and error to find the one. Maybe the Samsung is the same?
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Hi, Thank you for all your Posts but I am still stuck with Unbutu, (which I hate with a passion) does anyone know in lay man terms how to get rid of this OS and install windows vista (I have a disc/key etc). I need ABC instructions as I do not know how to work this system. So far I have managed to get it to boot from DVD but it appears to just ignore the disc and go into the dreaded Unbutu...........Thanks in advance for some simple instructions.

I have a Samsuns N110 Netbook with an external DVD - No windows installed - Only Unbutu 11.10

Just Joined!
    Ubuntus not that hard to use, but that's beside the point. It's obviously not booting from the disc if it's going straight to the harddrive.

When you place the disc in the drive do you see the message (press any key to boot from disc). If you don't see this then it's not booting from it. Generally I haven't had any experience booting from external drives. Have you tryed plugging it in to a different USB port as someone else suggested?

And it is being given to you in as simple terms as possible. We can't give you specific ABC instructions on how to boot from a disc as it is different on every machine. Before we can even help you remove linux we need to be able to boot you into a windows install first.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    srj
    Hello,

Please stop blaming 'Ubuntu' for your issue. The issue is in your BIOS that's failing to boot from your DVD.

I searched some BIOS pictures for your system and I think you should place in the first menu 'Boot priority order' all the 'USB' devices from the 'Excluded from boot order'. Try like this:

1. USB CD
    2. USB ZIP
    3. USB LS120
    4. Other USB

and exclude any other boot device from the first menu.

Cheers,

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Some machines have trouble booting the Windows installation disk once GRUB resides on the MBR.

The following command issued from the command line should clear the MBR and partition table giving you a fresh start with your hard drive:

Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    You'll get a short message about records in and records out, then your hard drive should be cleared on system reboot. The entire process should only take a few seconds once the command is issued.

You can use the fdisk -l command (that's a lower-case letter L) to determine your device name:

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    After the MBR has been cleared, your Windows installation disk should work again as long as the installation disk itself is good.
    oz

Just Joined!

Red face OK I will stop blaming 'Ubuntu'

Thank you once again for your help......I am happy to report that I have deleted 'Ubuntu' I hope never to see it in my life again....sorry if this sounds hard but when you do not know how somthing works it is human nature to dislike it.

Anyway, the problem has (I think) been resolved, I had to unselect the Hard Drive from the Boot system (not sure if this is the correct terms I am using) and make the system boot only from the DVD, I was then able to select the delete option during the install, I then had to go back into the Bios and change it back to seeing the Hard Drive to continue with the installation. this seems to be working as I have the old familiar windows doing its bit as I type....

I will say this for Ubuntu, you guys are very helpful it is a pity I did not have a clue how to work it.

Many Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by srj View Post
    Hello,

Please stop blaming 'Ubuntu' for your issue. The issue is in your BIOS that's failing to boot from your DVD.

I searched some BIOS pictures for your system and I think you should place in the first menu 'Boot priority order' all the 'USB' devices from the 'Excluded from boot order'. Try like this:

1. USB CD
    2. USB ZIP
    3. USB LS120
    4. Other USB

and exclude any other boot device from the first menu.

Cheers,

Just Joined!
    Ok Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pmurray View Post
    I will say this for Ubuntu, you guys are very helpful it is a pity I did not have a clue how to work it.

Many Many Thanks

If you had asked for help on how to use Ubuntu, you would have gotten that too.
    jayd512 likes this.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2