Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
I am sorry that my 1st post should be of this nature BUT I have not a clue how to work my second hand notebook that has Unbuntu 11.10 on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help me get rid of Linux

I am sorry that my 1st post should be of this nature BUT I have not a clue how to work my second hand notebook that has Unbuntu 11.10 on it. I would like to install Windows Vista as I have a disc and have purchased an external DVD - Can anyone help me with simple instructions on how to do this.

I have dowloaded various things but do not even know of to get them to run, I have 'BEST REMOVAL TOOL' in my download file but how do you instal it?

Thank you in advance and hope you can help.

Pauline

Linux User
    1) Set the BIOS/Boot Order so that it boots from the external DVD first, before the Hard Disk.

2) Put the disc in. Reboot the machine.

Just Joined!

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by arochester View Post
    1) Set the BIOS/Boot Order so that it boots from the external DVD first, before the Hard Disk.

2) Put the disc in. Reboot the machine.

Hi Thank you for that but I have tried all of that I am unable to get the Boot Order to change on the Samsung N110??? Does this mean I can not change the OS ??

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    What options does it offer you?

Just Joined!
    have managed to get into the Boot Device Priority and moved the option USB CD up to No.1 however when I press Shift + 1 it does not do anything, the only one that it will let me select is IDE HDD Am I still doing somthing wrong, everyone says it is easy to remove linux and install windows but I am now loosing the will with this.

srj
    Hello,

Please provide more details, as what exactly is the problem? You can't boot from your 'Windows Vista' DVD or you can't erase the 'Linux' partition? For the former issue you must place the DVD in and press the 'Esc' key when your BIOS is running the memory tests, etc. A menu should pop-up that will allow you to choose from different available boot devices. Select your DVD to begin the 'Windows Vista' installation.

From here, if you want to completely delete your 'Linux' partition the 'Windows' setup comes with a partition manager from where you can erase / create new partitions at your convenience.

Best of luck,

* I don't own the same laptop and I'm not sure if the 'Esc' key will work. I just Googled options for Samsung N110 and that's what I found..
    Last edited by srj; 02-29-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Just Joined!

Can change Boot Order

Quote Originally Posted by srj View Post
    Hello,

Please provide more details, as what exactly is the problem? You can't boot from your 'Windows Vista' DVD or you can't erase the 'Linux' partition? For the former issue you must place the DVD in and press the 'Esc' key when your BIOS is running the memory tests, etc. A menu should pop-up that will allow you to choose from different available boot devices. Select your DVD to begin the 'Windows Vista' installation.

From here, if you want to completely delete your 'Linux' partition the 'Windows' setup comes with a partition manager from where you can erase / create new partitions at your convenience.

Best of luck,

Hi, Sorry if I am not making things clear. I have tried the following: I have a Vista Windows disc.

1. I press f2 and then select Boot Device Priority where I have 6 options, 5 of which are marked n/a the only one that is marked is labeled IDE HDD

2. When I use f5 f6 keys it highlights USB CD then allows me to move it up to position 1, However the instructions say <shift=1> to select, when I do this the netbook just bleeps and will not allow me to select????

I am trying to remove Linux and install Windows Vista

srj
    Quote Originally Posted by pmurray View Post
    Hi, Sorry if I am not making things clear. I have tried the following: I have a Vista Windows disc.

1. I press f2 and then select Boot Device Priority where I have 6 options, 5 of which are marked n/a the only one that is marked is labeled IDE HDD

2. When I use f5 f6 keys it highlights USB CD then allows me to move it up to position 1, However the instructions say <shift=1> to select, when I do this the netbook just bleeps and will not allow me to select????

I am trying to remove Linux and install Windows Vista
    All you mentioned above takes place in your computer's BIOS setup? I don't know what <shift+1> does but if you managed to move 'USB-CD' option to the first bootable device then you should be OK. Save the BIOS setup and exit. See if you can boot from your 'Windows' DVD or it loads your Ubuntu OS without looking elsewhere.

*I know a lot of laptops BIOS won't support external DVD boot but if you already got USB-CD option that should not be the case here.

** It's not hard to remove a Linux installation, but you seem to have issues booting the 'Windows' DVD. Your 'Ubuntu' installation is not the problem here.

This has been covered multiple times before. The best place to get advice about removing 'buntu is at their forums. There are hundreds of threads over there like this: HowTo: Remove Ubuntu (& Restore Windows) - Ubuntu Forums

your not pretty clear but if i get you somehow. Delete your linux partion in windows and repair the system using the OS cd.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast