Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello all. I used Ubuntu for some years, and my impression is Ubuntu tends more to pursue Windows instead of improve stability. After 11.10 I decided to test another distro. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thumbs down Choosing a stable distro for a not-so-newbie

Hello all. I used Ubuntu for some years, and my impression is Ubuntu tends more to pursue Windows instead of improve stability. After 11.10 I decided to test another distro.

I'm searching for a distro that focus on stability, compatibility with both software and hardware, and speed. I dislike desktop environments like Gnome 3 or Unity.

Just Joined!
    The distro is separate from windows manager. Most will allow and have a number of windows managers available. XFCE will avoid 'new parts' in Gnome 3 and is available in many distros.

Just Joined!
    I am convinced of Fedora. It runs stable and fast. However, from Version 15 it brings Gnome 3, but you can also run with KDE if you like.

Just Joined!
    Well then you want KDE, you can also get Ubuntu with KDE, but there is also openSuse and Fedora, but if you get Fedora, make sure you get the KDE spin.

Lxde gets my vote, but Xfce will satisfy me almost as well.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Any desktop environment or window manager can be installed on a GNU-Linux system. Many, if not the majority offer a choice. If a distribution has a default, or if you do not like any of the options, install whatever they have and then install what you want.

If you do not like full-fledged DEs, try Openbox or Fluxbox. (As well as many others.)

For stability, you cannot beat Debian. Slackware is probably also good, provided one has enough knowledge to install and configure it. I avoid all Buntus like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    For stability, you cannot beat Debian.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Randicus View Post
    Slackware is probably also good, provided one has enough knowledge to install and configure it.
    Slackware is not that difficult to install and maintain. I gave it a whirl for about 2 months late last year, but ultimately returned to Debian Sid. I found it to be solid, "fast" and stable and I was running KDE 4.6.5. Once you read up on how to deal with it's init scripts and how to install from slackbuilds, etc it's not that challenging to maintain a normal every day system (a bit like running Debian stable).

Not that difficult to install?
    I must respectfully disagree.
    I cannot figure out the partition editor. The only way I can install Slackware is to replace another Linux system and use the existing partitions. If the drive is empty or has a non-Linux system, forget it.
    Although I am not an expert by any means, neither am I a beginner.

Then I must be an advanced Slackware-foo grand master... yes that explains it...

I can't actually remember anything about the partition editor, so it must have been simple enough.

Try installing FreeBSD...

I have.
    After at least ten attempts, I was never able to install a working system.
    Perhaps you are a Linux Grand master.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast