Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
LMDE Screen running off the edge!! Postby nbob on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:07 pm Hello. I have a very peculiar problem with linux mint debian. It seems to happen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Unhappy My Windows keep running off the edge on the top of my screen

LMDE Screen running off the edge!!

Postby nbob on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:07 pm
    Hello. I have a very peculiar problem with linux mint debian. It seems to happen after a week or so after a fresh install. Here is what happens:

I will click on my firefox icon to open up firefox. It is not the full-page window, but more like half the screen. Then the page appears in full for a split second before retreating off my screen. Now when I say retreat I mean it slides off the screen just enough to obscure the top row. So the row that disappears is the one with the firefox icon on the Left-hand side and the "-- o x" (minimize, maximize, and close) buttons on the Right-hand side.

I've tried playing with the F11 key. This will let me briefly see the minimize, maximize,close buttons before retreating again. And I've tried pressing these buttons while they were visible but nothing helpful happens. I would summarize my situation this way >>

* I can't grab the webpage by the "handle" at the top of the page to move the page around on my screen (the handle area is always obscured)
    * I can't minimize the screen ( even if I click on the minimize/maximize button after pressing F11)
    * I can't maximize the screen

Here are my system specs: 2yr-old off-the-shelf pc. (e-machines) with an on-board graphics and also I purchased a better graphics card (a Nvidia GT-430) I have 2 500-GB Disks with Linux on the first disk and windows 7 on the second disk. I also have a wireless mouse and a wireless keyboard. My currently installed system is a LXDE-Linuxmint installation. I've done a lot of tweaks having to do with the look and feel (like moving my panel to the top of the screen instead of along the bottom)
    but haven't done much to the system other than installing the Update Packs.

any help would be appreciated.

Try disabling your GT-430 in bios and see if that solves the problem. If it does, then you need to update the Nvidia driver, replace the card, or add that info to see if someone has a work around.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    If the title bar is off the screen, try right clicking on the task bar icon for the window, selecting move and using the arrow keys to move the window into view.

I find some window decorators (emerald I'm looking at you) don't always start correctly when you first log in and it does look like the window is moved off the top of the screen in that situation. You can press Alt F2 and run
    Code:
    emerald --replace
    to fix that. If you are using the Gnome decorator / manager it would be
    Code:
    metacity --replace
    instead.
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Thanks for the reply. The only way to move a window like you propose is to grab it at the top row. Unfortunately, this is the row that's obscured. So I don't think that's an option for me.
    I will try the metacity --replace.

I believe he was referring to the bottom browsers normally have that tell you what is loading and being retrieved from the web server.

Are you able to Maximize the window with something like Alt + F10? Or move it with Alt + F11?
    I'm using IceWM, and those are the options available to do this. Aside from right-clicking on the taskbar, that is.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by nbob View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The only way to move a window like you propose is to grab it at the top row. Unfortunately, this is the row that's obscured. So I don't think that's an option for me.
    I will try the metacity --replace.
    If you right click on the button on the task bar, you can select move. Do not press any mouse buttons, simply use the cursor keys to position the keyboard. IIRC, this works in Gnome (but not sure about Gnomes Hell)
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Linux Newbie
    I can't get at my task bar. It is buried off the top of my screen.

ALT-F10/11 show the task bar for a brief second before snapping back off the screen again

If those don't work for you, try Alt + F5 to restore an original size, or Alt + F8 to change size.

*EDIT*
    I just used F11 to enter a Full-Screen mode. Same key to exit.
    If that doesn't work, try hovering your mose at the very top of your screen... you might get a smaller bar that you can use to exit Full-Screen.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    None of your suggestions is working. Going to switch distros I think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast