Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
After having a slight disaster after my 4 and a half year old windows laptop complete crashed on me running the windows 8 beta, I did a fresh clean install ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Making the switch (?)

After having a slight disaster after my 4 and a half year old windows laptop complete crashed on me running the windows 8 beta, I did a fresh clean install of windows 7.

I keep getting the BSOD and c000021ca crashes, I've spent 2 full days trying to solve this, safe mode, system restores, repairs, the lot.
    The problem just keeps on persisting. So, after my frustration with Windows, I thought I'd give Linux a go (ubuntu).

I've managed to boot into safe mode on my laptop, and I'm trying to install Ubuntu temporarily through Wubi, to test it out.
    My main fears with transitioning to Linux would be the lack of support for my iPad, iPod Touch and Blackberry Bold. I use these devises daily and without a viable method to sync them,then there's almost no point in me running Linux at all.

I've heard about Barry & gtkpod etc. but are these good enough?

Should I transition to Linux?

Sorry it's a bit long-winded, I'm a total noob to Linux, I've only played around with an .iso from pendrivelinux briefly.

Hello and Welcome!

I, personally, don't have a tablet or a smartphone. So I don't have any first-hand reports for you.
    But I have read posts and blogs where may people have good luck using gtkpod. And Amarok has some fairly decent reviews when it comes to syncing music playlists in a similar fashion to iTunes.

Aside from trying a Wubi install, you could also setup your system to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows. That way, you would have the full capabilities of your hardware during your testing phase.

Perhaps someone that has some of those devices will chime in with better information.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply!

How would I go about dual booting? I'm having some serious OS troubles ATM. My Wubi install didn't work either.

After downloading the Ubuntu .iso file, burn it to a blank CD.
    Reboot your computer with the disc in the optical drive, making sure to set your BIOS to boot from optical drive first.
    The Ubuntu installer is fairly intuitive, and you should see the option to install beside another OS. (Been a while since I did so, so I'm going from memory here.)
    Here's a link with steps to dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows 7: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Two thoughts:
    1) The fact, that a freshly installed w7 crashes makes me wonder if the hardware is malfunctioning.
    You should diagnose ram, cpu, harddiscs, etc first.
    2) Open source -and therefore linux- and proprietary gadgets/software like apple and ms products are not exactly made for each other.
    Even if gtkpod and amarok work now, there is no guarantee that they will in the future.
    It is not uncommon for apple to release a patch with the sole purpose of locking out any software that is not itunes.

So, if ipods compatibility is a deciding factor for you, then it is fair to tell you about possible.. "adventures"
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Thanks, Im Assuming this can be done with a USB drive instead? My optical drive is broken. Thanks for your help.

Just Joined!
    I tried running memory tests etc, but nothing has turned up. The only things I can find online suggest winlogon.exe and crss.exe as well as registry errors, I'll try dual booting for a while but ultimately I'm due an upgrade anyway.

Irithori makes a good point on a possible hardware issue. If diagnostics are possible, that would be a great first step.

And adding to the combined comments regarding an Apple product working with Amarok or other software, it should be pointed out that it will simply not have the same level of features that you're accustomed to with iTunes.
    Most Linux applications that sync with those devices really handle the music playlists, and not much else.

Any other type of data syncing (Files, documents, photos, etc.) will need to be done in different fashions.

And yes, you should be able to use a USB drive to setup your system.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    USB CD / DVD drive is no problem as long as your machine can be booted from it, otherwise unetbootin will help make a bootable USB key.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    My iPod touch is used almost exclusively for music, plus the 'post-pc' updates added with iOS 5 should make iPad management slightly easier. If worst comes to worse, I should be able to add mp3 files to my memory card and play them on my BB anyway.

The Linux solution would only be temporary anyway, I do aim to run windows again, whether on this system or another,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast