Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've happily had opensuse 12.1 working fine alongside windows vista (used only for itunes) but vista hit some problems and wouldn't update. I rolled back some updates and vista died ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Opensuse 12.1 bootloader lost after repairing windows

I've happily had opensuse 12.1 working fine alongside windows vista (used only for itunes) but vista hit some problems and wouldn't update. I rolled back some updates and vista died (wouldn't even boot in safe mode) so I repaired it using the windows disc, now my lovely bootloader doesn't appear and all I can load is windows! The partition doesn't appear in windows (although I think it never did).

Is opensuse still on there? Do I just need to repair or reload the bootloader on there? If so what's the best way of going about that? I thought I should post here before attempting anything as I've had a look at methods but there seem to be different situations and ways, so I didn't want to arse it up and choose the wrong one.

Thanks very much for any help!

Linux Engineer
    Yes, SUSE should still be there. I just went through this myself with Mint a couple of months ago.
    Word to the wise: Windows Vista doesn't set up registry restore points by default. Turn that on, because it can save you a lot of head ache.

You should be able to boot off of a live CD and re-install GRUB. Google will have lots of info for you on this.

Just Joined!
    Thanks very much, do you know how to find out which partition I should install the grub on?

Linux Engineer
    Here's a link with some basic instructions:
    How to restore Grub 2 after reinstalling Windows XP/Vista/Win7